Thoughts on the AP Poll: Duke women's basketball drops two spots to No. 11 after split week

Vanessa de Jesus lets a three fly against Virginia.

After Duke split its week with a win and a loss, a new AP Poll came out on Monday afternoon. The Blue Zone breaks down the new rankings: 

Duke slips

While the Blue Devils finished their week with a tight win on the road against Virginia, it was a difficult start to the week. Duke was dominated from start to finish by No. 9 Virginia Tech, losing 61-45 in Blacksburg, Va. The Blue Devils struggled on offense throughout the game, scoring just three points in the second quarter and shooting just 34% from the field. Against the Cavaliers, Duke led by just six points at the half, and held on down the stretch en route to a 56-52 victory in Charlottesville, Va. Ultimately, the weak performance against the Hokies cost the Blue Devils, who dropped out of the top 10 to No. 11. 

Tar Heels lose grip

North Carolina opened its week with a dominant 73-55 win against Boston College, but struggled in its second game of the week against N.C. State. The Tar Heels were in control for most of the game but ultimately fell apart late, as the Wolfpack stormed back and forced overtime where they prevailed in 77-66. The loss to  unranked N.C. State hurt North Carolina in the rankings, who dropped to No. 22 in the poll. 

Arizona climbs 

It was a strong week for the Wildcats, who had two big-time ranked wins against then-No.4 Utah and then-No. 21 Colorado. Arizona opened its week by hosting the Utes, and played a strong game against a very good Utah team. Both teams shot dismally from three, combining for a miserable 7-for-33 from behind the arc. Against the Buffaloes, it was a dominant win for the Wildcats. Arizona allowed just seven points in the third quarter against Colorado, ultimately coming up trumps 61-42. Ultimately, the two ranked wins, and especially the big victory against then-top-five Utah, moved the Wildcats up in the rankings. Arizona rose to No. 14. 

Virginia Tech moves up

It was a good week for the Hokies, who opened strong with the aforementioned win against the Blue Devils, and followed that up with a solid victory against a strong N.C. State team. Virginia Tech was rewarded with a top-10 spot in the poll, moving up to No. 9 Monday afternoon. 

Full rankings

1. South Carolina

2. Indiana

3. Stanford

4. UConn

5. LSU

6. Iowa

7. Maryland

8. Utah

9. Virginia Tech

10. Notre Dame

11. Duke

12. Michigan

13. Oklahoma

14. Arizona

15. Villanova

16. Ohio State

17. UCLA

18. Gonzaga

19. Texas

20. Iowa State

21. Colorado

22. North Carolina

23. Florida State

24. UNLV

25. Illinois 

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP Poll: Duke women's basketball drops two spots to No. 11 after split week” on social media.