The more you know: Duke women's tennis' success, and the players leading the way

Senior Chloe Beck has led Duke women's tennis to an 8-0 record to start the season.

Never mind 16th-ranked women’s track and field, ninth-ranked women’s basketball or eighth-ranked men’s lacrosse—Duke women’s tennis is the single most dominant athletic team on campus right now. The squad is 8-0 this spring and ranked fourth in the country. In its most recent round of games against Georgetown and N.C. Central Sunday, the team did not drop a single set across all 18 matches. Seeing that the Blue Devils have been playing at such a high level, it seems like high time to take a look at what (and who) exactly is making this year’s team so good. 

Chloe Beck

Beck is one of the best tennis players in the country, let alone at Duke. The Watkinsville, Ga., native is currently sitting at No. 5 on the ITA singles rankings. She was named to the All-ACC First Team in 2022 and also qualified for the NCAA singles tournament. On top of that, she is an incredible 24-2 in conference play in her career. 

Beck has been absolutely dominant in the spring season so far, as is indicated by her outstanding singles performance against Georgetown on Sunday. In her singles match against the Hoyas’ Avantika Willy, she did not lose a single point until the start of the fourth game. 

Beck has played at a high level since the beginning of her time at Duke, but the senior’s performance thus far this spring has still been remarkable. She is a significant reason why the Blue Devils have climbed so high in the rankings this year. 

Emma Jackson

Jackson has been a crucial part of this year’s team. She ranks 21st in the country in singles play, holding a record of 11-5 on the year. On top of that, the La Grange Park, Ill., native is 5-0 in dual match competitions and won two top-10 matchups this fall. 

Jackson is only a sophomore, and while players like Beck are nearing the end of their time at Duke, she still has a lot of room to grow and become even better. No. 21 is the highest ranking she has received in her career, and there is no reason why she can’t keep improving and become an even more integral member of the team. 

Transfer talent

Another player who has been outstanding for the Blue Devils this year is actually one who defected from Duke’s rival. Graduate transfer Cameron Morra has been instrumental in the Blue Devils’ success this year, despite traditionally being a foil as a member of North Carolina’s team for four years. 

Now with Duke, Morra has been a valuable part of Beck’s success, too. The duo are Duke’s highest-ranked doubles pairing at No. 14 and have played their way to an impressive 19-3 record, going 6-0 in dual match play. In singles, she has been a force to be reckoned with. Ranked 28th, Morra has won nine of her last 11 matches and is 12-6 on the year.

Looking ahead

Duke women’s tennis is good this year. Like, really good. That being said, the Blue Devils will face some much tougher tests down the stretch. Conference play is yet to begin, and the ACC has some of the best teams in the country. No. 2 North Carolina, which will be the Blue Devils’ final matchup of the regular season, is currently home to the top-ranked singles player, junior Fiona Crawley. Other strong teams like No. 7 Virginia and No. 10 N.C. State will be difficult trials for the Blue Devils going forward. 

Share and discuss “The more you know: Duke women's tennis' success, and the players leading the way” on social media.