Duke women’s basketball named a No. 2 seed in projected NCAA tournament bracket

Kara Lawson looks on during Duke's Dec. 29 win at N.C. State.

The NCAA women’s basketball tournament committee revealed their first rankings of the 2022-23 season, and an impressive season from the Blue Devils was significantly rewarded.

Duke was selected as the No. 8-overall seed in the NCAA’s preview of the top 16 tournament seeds, affording it a prospective No. 2 seed in the first Greenville Regional. The other teams in its region include No. 1-overall South Carolina, No. 3-seed Maryland, and No. 4-seed Ohio State.

The Blue Devils, coming off a 68-27 beatdown of Boston College, sit atop the ACC standings thanks to a 21-3 overall record and an 11-2 mark in the ACC. Those three losses have come against No. 1-seed UConn, No. 3-seed North Carolina and Florida State. All three were also all Quad 1 games, giving Duke a 6-3 mark in Quad 1 games, in addition to records of 8-0 in Quad 2, 4-0 in Quad 3 and 3-0 in Quad 4, per Warren Nolan.

Duke currently ranks ninth in the NET and 19th in Her Hoop Stats rating, behind the third-best defensive rating in the country. The Blue Devils’ top remaining games include four-straight Quad 1 matchups to close their regular season against No. 11 Virginia Tech, Virginia, No. 22 N.C. State and No. 14 North Carolina.

Share and discuss “Duke women’s basketball named a No. 2 seed in projected NCAA tournament bracket” on social media.