Jess Chen selected as DUU president, Arianna Dwomoh to be EVP

<p>Junior Jess Chen will be Duke University Union's president and junior Arianna Dwomoh will be DUU executive vice president for the 2022-23 academic year.</p>

Junior Jess Chen will be Duke University Union's president and junior Arianna Dwomoh will be DUU executive vice president for the 2022-23 academic year.

Junior Jess Chen will be next year’s Duke University Union president and junior Arianna Dwomoh will be DUU executive vice president. 

DUU is the largest programming and media body at Duke, made up of 17 committees, such as the Last Day of Classes Committee and Campus Concerts. WXDU, Small Town Records and the Coffeehouse are also included among DUU’s committees.

Both students were selected through an internal DUU application process. All applications were overseen by current President Finn Brauer and Executive Vice President Amrita Lakhanpal, both seniors. Final-round applicants then gave presentations in front of the current DUU Executive Board, who cast votes for the two positions on Tuesday night. 

Chen currently serves as vice president for media, managing four DUU committees, including Duke Student Broadcasting, Freewater Productions, Small Town Records and WXDU. Her platform includes supporting DUU’s internal community and focusing on “cohesive outreach across all corners of campus.” 

Dwomoh currently serves as vice president for recurring events, managing Coffeehouse, duke@nite, Freewater Presentations, Jazz@ and VisArts. Her platform focused on long-term sustainability and supporting an effective use of funds. 

“DUU is a big ship in the sea that is campus life. With a big ship comes big responsibilities ... I plan to solidify DUU’s voice on campus and express a more cohesive vision of what we are for the entirety of the student body,” Chen wrote in an email to The Chronicle. 

She noted that DUU is unique on campus in its ability to let students take on leadership roles that “foster community for the entire Duke student body.” 

“My past three years with DUU have imparted priceless knowledge that cannot be learned through anything else ... I want to keep seeing these possibilities grow,” Chen wrote.

Milla Surjadi profile
Milla Surjadi | Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator

Milla Surjadi is a Trinity junior and a diversity, equity and inclusion coordinator of The Chronicle's 119th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “Jess Chen selected as DUU president, Arianna Dwomoh to be EVP” on social media.