Duke’s undergraduate cost of attendance to raise nearly 5% in next academic year

<p>The Languages Building on Abele Quad.</p>

The Languages Building on Abele Quad.

The Board of Trustees approved a 4.9% increase to Duke’s undergraduate cost of attendance at its quarterly meeting, which concluded Saturday. 

The total cost of attendance will be $83,263 for the 2023-2024 academic year, according to a Saturday news release. Tuition will be $63,450 and room, board and required fees for student health, recreation, activities and services will be $19,813. 

The previous undergraduate tuition increase in 2022 raised the cost of attendance by 4%, bringing it to its current cost of $79,338. 

The trustees also approved tuition increases ranging from 0% and 5.3% for flagship graduate and professional degrees on Saturday. 

The average total financial aid package for eligible first-year students who entered in 2022 was $59,578, according to the release. Approximately 21% of those who entered in 2022 received financial aid that covered the full cost of tuition.

Duke has invested approximately $1.5 billion in undergraduate students’ financial assistance since 2012, according to the release. For the 2022-2023 academic year, half of Duke undergraduates receive some form of financial assistance, including “aid based on family resources, athletics and endowed competitive scholarships.”

Duke is one of a small number of colleges and universities with a need-blind admissions policy for United States citizens, permanent residents and undocumented students, meaning that an applicant’s need for financial aid will not disadvantage them in the admissions process. Duke is not need-blind for international students.

Duke is also one of few institutions nationally to combine the need-blind commitment with merit scholarships and athletic scholarships. 

Katie Tan profile
Katie Tan | Digital Strategy Director

Katie Tan is a Trinity senior and digital strategy director of The Chronicle's 119th volume. She was previously managing editor for Volume 118. 

Share and discuss “Duke’s undergraduate cost of attendance to raise nearly 5% in next academic year” on social media.