Engineering Student Government endorses Chase Barclay for DSG president

endorsements

Duke Engineering Student Government enthusiastically endorses Chase Barclay for Duke Student Government president. The ESG Executive Board is confident that Chase’s goals will best serve engineering students in the coming year, through his background in Academic Affairs, ideas for funding reforms, and elevating the voice of Pratt in institutional conversations. 

ESG aims to develop an academic community that reflects the needs and desires of students in Pratt. Chase’s experience as a senator in Academic Affairs is well suited to work alongside ESG in advocating for academic changes that promote the wellbeing and educational goals of engineering students. This includes bringing ESG and Pratt students into conversations with administration regarding reforms across Duke, particularly those relevant to the feedback ESG has heard with imbalanced course loads and required Trinity courses. 

We also look forward to having conversations with Chase regarding Pratt student group funding. Chase has expressed a goal of reforming SOFC, with the inclusion of Pratt feedback to ensure that the unique needs of Pratt clubs are met. His experience with funding conversations in the past, alongside a desire for ensuring all students’ extracurricular passions are fulfilled, presents an exciting opportunity for new resources and funding opportunities for our engineering clubs.

Above all else, Chase has made it clear he recognizes the void of Pratt voices on campus, and is passionate about ensuring Pratt has fair representation in university affairs. Between formalizing a relationship with ESG and bringing in engineering viewpoints to topics such as mental health resources, Chase has made it clear he values the need for student representation to reflect 100% of students at this school. 

As your Engineering Student Government, we were elected to advocate for the needs of Pratt students and create an inclusive campus to serve our students. We are able to do that best alongside the leadership of Chase Barclay, and strongly encourage all students in Pratt to vote for Chase this Wednesday - Thursday, March 1st-2nd. 

Jack Rhodes, Pratt ‘24
Engineering Student Government President

Recused: None
Absent Members: James Zheng, Brandon Lu, Josh Guthrie, Neil Upreti, Emily Shao, Long Nguyen

Share and discuss “Engineering Student Government endorses Chase Barclay for DSG president” on social media.