X-Factor: Duke men's basketball needs to lean on crowd in home finale against N.C. State

Dereck Lively II hammers home a dunk against Virginia Tech in front of a roaring Duke crowd.

Just like that, the final regular-season home game is next up on Duke men's basketball's schedule, a revenge game against N.C. State. The Blue Zone breaks down the potential difference-maker for each side:

Duke: The Cameron Crazies

Cameron Indoor Stadium is college basketball’s worst-kept secret. Its 9,314-seat capacity, intimate feel and notorious crowd make it maybe the most unique atmosphere and lethal home-court advantage. No one takes that to heart more than this year’s Duke squad. The Blue Devils, while plagued by subpar road showings, are currently a perfect 15-0 on their own turf with just one opponent standing between them and a perfect home season: the Wolfpack. 

Duke’s home court would not be what it is without its fans, the raucous Cameron Crazies. 

“They give us a huge energy boost,” junior guard Jeremy Roach said of the student section after Saturday night’s defeat of Virginia Tech. “I just love when it’s rocking out there.”

The rest of the Blue Devils seem to agree with their captain. While Duke’s defense has consistently been its greatest strength, holding 25 of its 29 opponents below their previous scoring average, its offense has been the more inconsistent piece. On the road, that sentiment could not ring more true — the Blue Devils score just 68.7 points per away game, a number that alone would rank them below Georgia Tech amongst ACC scoring offenses. In Cameron, that mark is six points higher at 74.7 points. This is Duke’s last opportunity to wield its greatest asset and unique edge, and it needs to take full advantage of that.

N.C. State: D.J. Burns Jr. 

Trying to hammer down a single point where it all went wrong for Duke in this previous matchup is impossible — nearly nothing went in the Blue Devils’ favor. The 24-point loss is still their worst of the season, a stat they would desperately like to leave untouched. It was N.C. State’s backcourt that did most of that damage. The three starting guards combined for 53 points, just seven less than Duke’s total. However, neither Jarkel Joiner or Terquavion Smith is the most intriguing player in this matchup: D.J. Burns Jr. holds that title. 

The 6-foot-9 forward, who did not start against the Blue Devils Jan. 4, has since started 12-straight with only one single-digit scoring night to his name over that span. Since he torched Duke off the bench with 18 points and four blocks on 7-of-10 shooting, Burns has four 20-plus point showings and even a 31-point night against Wake Forest to show for his graduate season: He hasn’t shot below 45% this calendar year. Just as Dane Goodwin put Notre Dame on his back Feb. 14, propelled by midrange jumpers and high-efficiency two-point shots, the Blue Devils need to be prepared for a lights-out night from Burns. 

Rachael Kaplan profile
Rachael Kaplan | Sports Managing Editor

Rachael Kaplan is a Trinity junior and sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “X-Factor: Duke men's basketball needs to lean on crowd in home finale against N.C. State” on social media.