Mike Krzyzewski returns to Cameron Indoor Stadium for Duke men's basketball's game against Notre Dame

Former Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski in the crowd before Tuesday's game at Notre Dame.

The Blue Devils had a very special guest in the stands as they defeated Notre Dame at home Tuesday evening. 

Legendary head coach Mike Krzyzewski attended his first game at Cameron Indoor Stadium since retiring at the end of the 2021-22 season, joined by his wife Mickie. As the five-time national championship-winning coach walked onto the court, he was met with cheers and bows from the student section before taking a seat along the baseline catty-corner from the Duke bench. However, his presence meant even more for those on the court than those watching.

"We talked about even in preseason, 'When are you going to come to a game? We want you at a game.' And for him to be here tonight, it's special for me. I've been in so many battles in games here with him right next to me ... I just wanted to make sure we got the win while he was here," head coach Jon Scheyer said after the game. 

Though Krzyzewski arrived at the game prior to tipoff, the announcer only drew attention to his attendance after the final media timeout of the first half, when the entire stadium repeated their bow-down cheer. However, contrary to what fans may have expected, Krzyzewski was not formally honored during or after the game nor did he speak to the crowd. He also, according to junior captain Jeremy Roach, did not speak with the team. Instead, he chatted with Roach from his seat and the two embraced. 

"I talked to him on the baseline. [He's] always giving me words of encouragement before every game," Roach said of the exchange after the game. "Just showing love to the GOAT...Whenever he's in your presence, you've always got to show love."

The game likely marks Notre Dame head coach and longtime Duke assistant Mike Brey’s final game in Cameron Indoor, as the winningest coach in Fighting Irish history announced in January that he will retire from Notre Dame at the end of the season. A few hours before the game, Brey and Krzyzewski shared a moment on the court to congratulate Brey on his career. 

The last time Krzyzewski was in Cameron Indoor Stadium for a men’s basketball game, the Blue Devils lost 94-81 in stunning fashion to archrival North Carolina. He was treated to a better outcome this time around, but his presence apparently did not add any pressure, only a welcome face to people who care about him deeply. 

"He's the guy who gave me the opportunity. The reason why I'm here. I've just got so much love for that guy. He supports me in every way, he gives me gives you tips whenever I need. I mean, you just can't have anybody better in your corner than him," Roach said.

"It wasn't nervous for me. But it was emotional just because of how many moments we've been in there together," Scheyer said. "I can't even tell you how supportive he has been from day one, whether it's a loss, win, whatever it is. He's that person for me. Like, he will always be that person for me."

This story was updated Tuesday night after Duke’s win against Notre Dame.

Sasha Richie profile
Sasha Richie | Sports Managing Editor

Sasha Richie is a Trinity senior and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Mike Krzyzewski returns to Cameron Indoor Stadium for Duke men's basketball's game against Notre Dame” on social media.