Ways to celebrate Black History Month at Duke

Jazz at the Mary Lou
Jazz at the Mary Lou

Looking for ways to celebrate Black History Month this February? The Chronicle has compiled a list of events hosted by the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture, the Center for Multicultural Affairs and other on-campus groups. 

Theology Underground Series: Black Liberation Theology

If you’re interested in exploring how race and culture affect faith, the February edition of the “Theology Underground” series will explore the legacy of Black theology on Feb. 7 at 6:30 p.m. The event will be in the Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity Lounge in Bryan Center 100.

Black History Month Keynote Speaker Lecture with Kimberly Latrice Jones

The MLWC will host author, filmmaker and activist Kimberly Latrice Jones for a keynote speech on Feb. 8 at 6 p.m. in Page Auditorium. Jones is the author of “I'm Not Dying With You Tonight” and creator of the video “How Can We Win.” Register for the event here.

“MIXED” Documentary Screening and Q&A

Sarah Gaither, assistant professor of psychology and neuroscience, and Caty Borum and Leena Jayaswal, film directors and American University professors, are hosting a screening of their documentary “MIXED” at the Ruby Lounge on Feb. 10 at 7 p.m. The film explores the multiracial identity in America. After the film, Gaither, Borum, and Jayaswall will host a Q&A discussion. 

Leveraging Your Network: An Identity Based Event for Black Students and Alumni

Karsh Conversations will be hosting an event for students of African and African American descent on Feb. 13 at 6 p.m to connect with Duke alumni from a variety of professions. Register to attend here.

Expanding Love: A CMA 50th Anniversary Zine Making Workshop

This zine-making workshop is second in a series of three zine workshops leading up to the Center for Multicultural Affairs 50th Anniversary celebration on Mar. 21. It will be held on Feb. 13 from 6-7:30 p.m. in the Bryan Center 005 conference room. 

Spirit in the Land at the Nasher Museum of Art

Check out a new art exhibit, the Spirit in the Land, at the Nasher Museum of Art starting Feb. 16. The exhibition tackles climate change and environmental inequity from a cultural viewpoint. Admission is free to all.

Black History Month trivia (Duke@NITE x Duke Alphas x MLWC)

Test your trivia skills at Black History Month Trivia on Feb. 16 at 8:30 p.m. in Devil’s Krafthouse. Teams of up to four will compete for prizes and put their knowledge to the test.

Duke Common Experience: “The Point of Reckoning” Book Discussion

What was Duke’s Afro-American Society? What happened during the takeover of the Allen building in 1969? Explore these questions at the “The Point of Reckoning” book discussion on Feb. 25 at 1 p.m. in Brodhead Center 067.

Senou Kounouho profile
Senou Kounouho | University News Editor

Senou Kounouho is a Pratt sophomore and a university news editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Ways to celebrate Black History Month at Duke” on social media.