Duke men's basketball captain Jeremy Roach out with reaggravated toe injury against Boston College

Jeremy Roach dribbles near midcourt in Duke's loss to N.C. State.

For the second time this season, the Blue Devils went to work without their captain.

Junior point guard Jeremy Roach is out for Saturday's ACC road game against Boston College, per a team release Saturday morning. Roach initially suffered the injury in Duke's Nov. 27 loss to Purdue at the Phil Knight Legacy, and previously missed Duke's Dec. 10 win over Maryland Eastern Shore with the same ailment.

No. 16 Duke re-entered the win column against the Eagles, taking the lead with 12 seconds to play and holding on for a dramatic 65-64 victory in Chestnut Hill, Mass. After the game, head coach Jon Scheyer provided an update on Roach's timetable for return, indicating that the third-year player is unlikely to return for the Blue Devils' Wednesday matchup against Pittsburgh at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

"We need Jeremy to get well," Scheyer said. "If that means it’s a week, if that means it’s two weeks, whatever time that means. I’ll be shocked if he plays the next game, but we’re not ruling him out yet for that."

Roach was seen on the court Saturday wearing a walking boot on his right foot during warmups.

Roach is the Blue Devils' second-leading scorer at 11.9 points per game, but he has not reached that scoring mark in the three games since his return from injury. The Leesburg, Va., native struggled Wednesday in Duke's 84-60 loss to N.C. State, shooting 0-of-8 from the floor for a season-low four points.

"He just has been playing through pain," Scheyer said after Roach missed Duke's Dec. 10 win. "So he hasn't been able to practice, he hasn't been able to do extra work. And so for us, his health comes first, before any game, and this is the one chance we have for him to get back to 100%."

The Blue Devils previously defeated Boston College Dec. 3 in both teams' ACC opener. Roach played 28 minutes, scored six points and dished three assists in Duke's 75-59 win.

This article was updated Saturday afternoon following Duke's win against Boston College.

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball captain Jeremy Roach out with reaggravated toe injury against Boston College” on social media.