DSG allocates funding for UVA & U. of Idaho Vigil, approves committee to examine students' accessibility, transportation needs

<p>Duke Student Government Senate at their Sept. 21, 2022 meeting.</p>

Duke Student Government Senate at their Sept. 21, 2022 meeting.

Duke Student Government heard from members of Senate about tomorrow’s vigil for the four students at the University of Idaho and three at the University of Virginia who died in separate tragedies on Nov. 13. 

The vigil will take place at Goodson Chapel from 7-8 p.m. Thursday. Junior Ashley Bae, vice president of Services and Sustainability, presented a budgetary statute to allocate $110 for the event, which senators unanimously approved. 

Senior Swetha Rajagopal, vice president of Durham and Community Affairs, presented a statute to create a Mobility at Duke Committee, a semester-long DSG project. The committee is aimed at “understanding the mobility needs of the Duke community and developing actionable proposals to expand accessibility, quality and modalities,” according to the statute

The statute mentioned a need to understand the “desires for mobility between Duke and Durham.” According to Rajagopal, the committee’s scope could include bike paths, sidewalk accessibility, and transportation into Durham. 

The decision to create a committee out of the Mobility at Duke project came from the desire to “have non-DSG partners working on this project with us,” Rajagopal said. 

She added that the institutionalization of Mobility at Duke as a committee ensures that the committee can be reinstated year after year, and allows for ad hoc committee chairs who can present more officially to the Senate. 

DSG senators voted unanimously to approve the committee’s creation.

In other business

DSG senators allocated $6,466.74 for Devils En Pointe’s stage performance of The Nutcracker on Dec. 2 and 3 and $6,826.00 for DukeAFRICA’s Fake African Wedding event on Jan. 14.

The senators confirmed Rajagopal as vice president of Durham and Community Affairs and confirmed the re-election of vice president of Campus Life Shreya Joshi, a junior, as Senate Judiciary Chair.

Ishani Raha profile
Ishani Raha | Senior Editor

Ishani Raha is a Pratt junior and a senior editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “DSG allocates funding for UVA & U. of Idaho Vigil, approves committee to examine students' accessibility, transportation needs ” on social media.