Duke swimming and diving names Doak Finch interim head coach

Doak Finch will lead Duke as interim head coach for the rest of the 2022-23 season.

Doak Finch, an associate head coach for the Blue Devils since 2017, has been named Duke's interim head coach for the 2022-23 season. The program announced Finch's new role in a release Thursday afternoon.

Finch succeeds former head coach Dan Colella, who led the program for 16 years and died Friday at 60 years old after a battle with cancer.

Finch first joined Duke's staff as an assistant coach in 2016 and has since become an integral part of the program. Before joining the Blue Devils, Finch was an assistant coach at Penn State for three seasons beginning in 2014 and an assistant on Virginia's staff for 12 years before that. With the Cavaliers, with whom he won ACC Rookie of the Year in 1997 and ACC Championship meet MVP in 1998, Finch worked with distance swimmers in addition to various other duties.

The Blue Devils have gotten off to a strong start in the pool to begin their current season. The men's team is currently 2-1, while the women's team is undefeated at 3-0.

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke swimming and diving names Doak Finch interim head coach” on social media.