Duke in the NFL: Jones' comeback falls short, Carter injured in Jets' loss

Jets cornerback Michael Carter II recorded five tackles against the Patriots before exiting Sunday's game with a chest injury.

Former Blue Devils are in the thick of the NFL playoff push, and the Blue Zone takes a look at their Week 11 performances:

Daniel Jones, QB, New York Giants

Quarterback Daniel Jones struggled against the Detroit Lions on Sunday, falling 31-18. Despite recording 341 passing yards, one touchdown and a 61.4% completion rate, Jones was unable to defeat the Lions, who now sit at 4-6. Jones posted a 39.1 QBR for the week, dropping his season QBR to ninth overall at 58.2. The decrease can be attributed to his two interceptions against Detroit. The Charlotte native had gone six games without a pick before his streak ended in the second quarter Sunday. The quarterback failed to lead his offense back after being down 24-6 at the end of the third quarter. 

The Giants' loss to the Lions only increased uncertainty regarding New York's playoff hopes and Jones' future with the team. The Giants hoped to solidify their playoff contention with a win against Detroit, but the loss lowered them to third in the NFC East. New York declined the fifth-year option on Jones’ contract earlier this year, making the quarterback a free agent in March. The Giants aim to get their playoff hopes back on track this Thanksgiving as they face the Dallas Cowboys, their divisional opponent, on Thursday. 

Noah Gray, TE, Kansas City Chiefs

The Kansas City tight ends played important roles this weekend, including former Blue Devil Noah Gray. He helped the Chiefs defeat the Los Angeles Chargers 30-27 by tallying 15 yards on two receptions, including one first down. The second-year tight end played 60% of the Chief’s offensive snaps, a season-high for Gray. Other Kansas City tight ends contributed as well, with Travis Kelce grabbing three touchdowns and recently healthy Jody Fortson recording 51 yards and playing 18 snaps. The Chiefs have a date with the 3-7 Los Angeles Rams this coming Sunday. 

Michael Carter II, New York Jets 

The former Blue Devils showed up in New England this weekend, as Michael Carter II, Thomas Hennessy and Laken Tomlinson all played key roles for the New York Jets on Sunday. Despite their 10-3 loss to the Patriots, Carter contributed five tackles along with a pass defended before leaving the game due to a chest injury. The cornerback didn't return, but is no longer listed on the Jets' injury report. The divisional loss moved New York to the bottom of the AFC East. The Jets will play Chicago on Sunday, hoping to bounce back against the 3-8 Bears. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Jones' comeback falls short, Carter injured in Jets' loss” on social media.