The Chronicle's Vol. 117 wins premier award for online college journalism

<p>&nbsp;</p>

Volume 117 of The Chronicle won the 2022 Online Pacemaker Award, the fourth year in a row The Chronicle has won the award.

The Pacemaker, presented by the Associated Collegiate Press, is considered the Pulitzer Prize of student journalism and has been awarded annually since 1927.

Entries in the categories of Newspaper, Online, Yearbooks, Broadcast and Magazine are considered for their “coverage and content; quality of writing and reporting; leadership; design; photography; and graphics.” The organization also awards Pacemakers in the categories of Business, Innovation and Multiplatform. 

Vol. 117 Editor-in-Chief Leah Boyd and Managing Editor Nadia Bey, both seniors, noted that this award serves as a testament to The Chronicle staff’s passion for covering Duke. 

“I hope that Volume 117 was able to leave Duke a better place than we found it — as editor, I hope I challenged us to celebrate the best of Duke and hold it accountable when we knew it could be better,” Boyd said. 

Boyd noted that the award honors all the “intelligent, kind and tireless student journalists ... and all they did and will continue to do for this paper.” 

“I’m extremely thankful to all the members of the community that shared our stories with us and to everyone on our staff who thoughtfully told those stories throughout the year,” Boyd said. 

Bey said that the award is a “sign of more good to come.”

“Every year The Chronicle just gets stronger and stronger and our writers and our editors just keep getting better. I’m excited for what the future has to bring,” Bey said.

General Manager Chrissy Beck said she was “so happy for the entire Chronicle staff for winning again.” 

“It’s such a hard job but they do it with grace and thoughtfulness. And they do it really well,” she said. 

The Chronicle was one of 17 newspapers to win the award in the online category. Winners were announced Friday at the ACP/CMA Fall National College Media Convention awards ceremony in Washington, D.C.

Vol. 116 won the Online Pacemaker Award in 2021, as did Vol. 115 in 2020, Vol. 114 in 2019 and Vol. 110 in 2015.

Milla Surjadi profile
Milla Surjadi | Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator

Milla Surjadi is a Trinity junior and a diversity, equity and inclusion coordinator of The Chronicle's 119th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle's Vol. 117 wins premier award for online college journalism” on social media.