Movie marathons, haunted houses and canine costumes: Spending Halloweekend at Duke, Durham

Halloween is next Monday, but don’t let that scare you from enjoying your weekend! If you’re looking to party with pirates, paint some pumpkins or just take your mind off the impending doom that midterm season is back from the (un)-dead, here are a few events happening around campus and Durham that may fulfill your ghostly desires.

Check out spooky screenings, practice your painting skills, and more!

Duke University Union is hosting a Halloween Movie Marathon on the Bryan Center Plaza starting on Oct. 28. Hocus Pocus will start screening at 7:00 p.m., followed by Beetlejuice at 10:00 p.m. and finally Halloween (1978) at 1:00 a.m.

If you’re a first-year and want to paint pumpkins, sketch spiders or just let your creativity shine, Devils After Dark is hosting a guided paint session on Oct. 29 from 9:00-11:00 p.m. in Gilbert-Addoms Down Under. 

Not a first-year but still want to join in on the fun? The Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture will be hosting a spooktacular Halloween event on Oct. 26 from 7:00-9:00 p.m. in the Bryan Center, filled with pizza, pumpkin carving and prizes. 

Head over to some haunted houses…if you dare

Dying to explore the area? Drive 20 minutes south of Duke and you’ll find Phillips Farms — the perfect place to spend a Halloweekend afternoon. Head over to get lost in the sunflower field, feed some goats, ride a wagon and discover countless other farm festivities.

Brave Blue Devils may also want to venture through Phillips Farms’ haunted house. This special event is open every Friday and Saturday night this month from 8:00-11:30 p.m.

If one haunted house isn’t enough, Panic Point has got you covered with five scare-tastic attractions on Oct. 30 and 31 that’s sure to give you and your friends nightmares until next Halloween. 

Howl with some non-human friends

Love dogs? Love costumes? Love dogs in costumes? Check out Barktoberfest! On Oct. 29 at Durham Central Park, you can spend the day with some adorable four-legged friends, enjoy live music, splurge on pet-related items for your own pups back home and even donate food to dogs in need.

Creep around town on a haunted walking tour

Preservation Durham is hosting a historic walking tour on Oct. 29 at Old Maplewood Cemetery. Visitors can listen to people’s stories, learn about grave architecture, and put their detective skills to use uncovering a murder mystery.

Give Carolina a scare at the Duke vs. UNC Field Hockey game

Calling all fockey fans! Duke will host a field hockey game against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill this Saturday at 12:00 p.m. in Jack Katz Stadium. So if you want to show some school spirit, head on over and support your Boo Devils as they duke it out against UNC.

Vote…or else

There’s nothing scarier than not doing your civic duty.

Voters who are registered in Durham County will be able to cast their ballots at any early voting site across the county. There are eight early voting sites in Durham County.

Duke’s on-campus early voting site is located at the Karsh Alumni Center. The address is 2080 Duke University Road and students can access Karsh on the C1 bus route. 

Editor's note: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that the field hockey game against UNC was Saturday at 7 p.m. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Share and discuss “Movie marathons, haunted houses and canine costumes: Spending Halloweekend at Duke, Durham” on social media.