The Chronicle’s guide to fall break in Durham

As the first round of midterms comes to a close, here are some activities to look forward to if you plan on staying on campus during fall break.

Parts of this story are adapted from The Chronicle's 2021 guide to fall break in Durham.

Explore Durham

From local supermarkets like Li Ming’s, to entertainment venues like the Durham Performing Arts Center and the Carolina Theatre, there is always plenty to do within the city. If you’re interested in learning more about the history of Durham, Preservation Durham leads free walking and bike tours of Downtown Durham every week. On Oct. 10, there will also be a free skywatching event at The Durham Hotel from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m.

There are few more wholesome ways to kick off your weekend than a trip to the Durham Farmers’ Market, a short walk from East Campus. You’ll encounter local vendors selling everything from flower bouquets to handmade jewelry. The Farmers’ Market is open from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. each Saturday and features live music, delicious food and impeccable vibes. 

Satisfy your taste buds

Whether it be Ethiopian awaze tibs from Goorsha or fried chicken from Chicken Hut, founded in 1957, there are plenty of delicious meals to try throughout Durham. On Oct. 8 and 9, the annual festival, A Taste of Greece, will take place with plenty of gyros and baklava to munch on.

Hang out with cute animals

On Oct. 9, you can bring your animals in front of the Duke Chapel to receive a blessing at the Blessing of the Animals event. If you haven’t done so already, you can stop by the Duke Puppy Kindergarten on weekdays from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. to visit the adorable puppies in training.

Venture outside of town

Take some time to explore the Triangle with cities like Cary, Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Use transportation like the Robertson Express, which provides rides to and from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill every 30 minutes.

If your wardrobe needs an update with the changing seasons, the Streets at Southpoint Mall is a 20-minute drive from campus and is home to retailers such as Urban Outfitters, American Eagle, Vans and Forever 21. However, if you’d rather find some more unique vintage pieces, Durham has quite the assortment of thrift stores to choose from. Stock up on sweaters, jeans, and cardigans all while staying on budget. 

Spend a day at Eno River State Park

If the outdoors are your thing (or even if they aren’t), you can’t go wrong with a day trip to Eno River State Park. Just a 15-minute drive from Duke, the park features over 30 miles of trails which wind through some truly gorgeous scenery: forests, wildflowers, and of course, the Eno River. The park is also an ideal picnic location. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the view– maybe you’ll catch a glimpse of the leaves changing color as the fall season arrives. 

Get vaccinated

To avoid feeling fatigued or sore from vaccinations during class, get your COVID-19 and flu vaccinations over break. 

Aida Guo profile
Aida Guo | Staff Reporter

Aida Guo is a Trinity first-year and a staff reporter of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle’s guide to fall break in Durham” on social media.