RECESS  |  LOCAL

La Fiesta Del Pueblo returns to in person celebration in downtown Raleigh

¡Vámonos de Fiesta! La Fiesta del Pueblo promises a vibrant, community-oriented celebration of Latinx culture with live music, dance performances, art exhibits and educational booths. 

The festival, free of charge to attendees, will take place on Fayetteville Street in Downtown Raleigh on Sunday, Sept. 18 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. La Fiesta’s return to an in-person extravaganza has been long anticipated since the pandemic first began, especially by the Triangle’s Latinx community. 

The annual celebration takes place during Hispanic Heritage month, which runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. El Pueblo, the non-profit organization organizing La Fiesta Del Pueblo, prides itself on being a resource for the Wake County Latinx community and welcomes with open arms anyone to the fiesta for an evening of appreciation and fun surrounded by Latinx culture.

The internationally recognized, Latin Grammy-nominated band, Grupo Mojado, will headline the festival. The 36-year-old Mexican band is well established within the Cumbia genre, amassing classic songs such as “Piensa en mί” and “Tonta.” 

There is more to come at the event,  with a vision of diverse Latin American representation — attendees can expect traditional music and dance styles from Mexico to Brazil to Venezuela and much more. The performers include the samba raggae music group Batala, dance group Venezuela es Danza, band Orquesta K’che and Dominican band Zona Tίpica, among others.

Local visual artists from the Triangle area will represent themselves by exhibiting and selling their artwork. The event will also include pop-up shops selling everything from embroidered dresses to jewelry to handmade bags to ponchos and more. 

La Fiesta del Pueblo would not be a fiesta without the presence of authentic Latin American food. Much like the performers, the food offered will be of a diverse Latinx background. There is an opportunity to support small businesses such as Poblanos Tacos, L’Arepa, Café Rican, Finca Burger and 20 plus anticipated food vendors presenting many opportunities to dabble into the flavors of Latinx culture. 

The festival is also equally about community and involvement. El Pueblo is still looking for volunteers to help throughout the event, including volunteers at information booths, Accessibility Ambassadors and sighted guides and bilingual interpreters in the COVID-19 vaccination area. Volunteers may sign up through La Fiesta’s website for three hour shifts; those who complete two or more shifts will receive a Fiesta 2022 shirt.

To get a sense of the Triangle’s community and a breather from the Duke bubble after the first few weeks of classes, consider joining in on La Fiesta.

More information can be found on El Pueblo’s website.

Michael Ramos profile
Michael Ramos | Staff Reporter

Michael Ramos is a Trinity first-year and a staff reporter of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “La Fiesta Del Pueblo returns to in person celebration in downtown Raleigh” on social media.