After investigation, reported on-campus robbery of graduate student determined to be 'unfounded,' per second DukeAlert

Editor's Note: Since publication, the Durham Police Department has told The Chronicle that the case is still an "active investigation" and "has not been unfounded." 

After a DukeAlert was sent to the Duke community Tuesday reporting an on-campus, strong-armed robbery of a graduate student, a second DukeAlert Tuesday afternoon wrote that Campus Police and Durham investigators found the report “unfounded.”

“Following the DukeAlert notification earlier this afternoon, Campus Police investigators have worked with the Durham investigator to determine that the report of a strong-armed robbery on Pettigrew St. yesterday was unfounded,” the second Duke Alert, sent at 4:26 p.m., read. “There was no robbery or theft.” 

The Chronicle has reached out to Duke University Police Department Chief John Dailey and the Durham Police Department requesting further information, including what steps were taken to investigate the claim. 

The incident was reported to have occurred on Pettigrew Street near the Center for Documentary Studies and was reported to the Durham Police Department 5 p.m. Monday, according to the first DukeAlert. The suspect did not display a weapon and took the victim’s car, the first DukeAlert read. 

The initial DukeAlert included a description of the suspect as “a male, medium-dark skin tone, late 20’s, dreadlocks with a black bandana, black hoodie and blue jeans.” 

DukeAlerts are sent to students, faculty and staff in compliance with the Clery Act. 

“The information in this message has not been verified by law enforcement authorities and may change as a result of further investigation,” the initial DukeAlert read. 

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Editor's Note: This headline was updated Wednesday morning to reflect that a second DukeAlert called the report "unfounded." 

Kathryn Thomas profile
Kathryn Thomas | News Editor

Kathryn Thomas is a Trinity junior and news editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “After investigation, reported on-campus robbery of graduate student determined to be 'unfounded,' per second DukeAlert” on social media.