Duke no longer requires flu vaccines for undergraduates

Flu vaccinations are no longer required for undergraduate students this year but are “strongly recommended,” according to Chris Simmons, interim vice president for public affairs and government relations.

Duke is offering free flu shots for all students at vaccination clinics across campus from Sept. 20 to Oct. 31. No appointment is needed.

Most faculty and staff are not required to get the flu vaccine. Duke Health employees, including those who work in the Duke University Health System, the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing and the Private Diagnostic Clinic, are still required to get a flu vaccine as a condition of employment. 

DUHS employees must comply with this requirement by Nov. 15 or apply for a medical or religious exemption by Nov. 1.

Duke University School of Medicine students are also required to receive flu vaccinations unless approved for an exemption, according to an email from Kathryn Andolsek, professor in family medicine and community health.

Students, staff and faculty will still be able to receive free flu vaccines from Duke Health. 

Flu shots had previously been required as part of Duke’s initial COVID-19 response. The Duke Compact, a statement that all members of the Duke community had to sign before arriving to campus for the 2020-2021 school year, said that students are expected to “get the flu shot and other required vaccinations by designated deadlines.” 

Faculty and staff can receive their shots at the Duke South Clinic without having to make an appointment. Shots are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. except for Wednesday 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Editor's Note: This story has been updated on Thursday afternoon to include vaccination requirements for School of Medicine students.

Anisha Reddy | Senior Editor

Anisha Reddy is a Trinity junior and a senior editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke no longer requires flu vaccines for undergraduates” on social media.