No. 1 2023 recruit McCabe Millon decommits from Duke men's lacrosse, will join Virginia

Millon thanked head coach John Danowski as well as assistant coach Matt Danowski (pictured) in his Instagram post announcing his decommitment.

McCabe Millon, the No. 1 overall recruit in the Class of 2023, announced that he has decommitted from Duke via social media Monday. The five-star attackman will instead join Virginia. 

Virginia was the only ACC team to be selected for the 2022 NCAA tournament, and it won the national championship in 2021. 

A native of Reisterstown, Md., Millon is currently a senior at McDonogh School, also the alma mater of Duke women's lacrosse greats Olivia Jenner and Maddie Jenner.

Though Millon has not yet signed a National Letter of Intent, he verbally committed to Duke in October 2021 and has now verbally committed to Virginia. He will presumably sign an NLI to play for the Cavaliers on the initial signing day Nov. 9. 

Switching commitments is not unheard of for top recruits; Duke's own star junior attackman Brennan O'Neill was once committed to Penn State before joining the Blue Devils, and current Virginia attackman Connor Shellenberger originally committed to Johns Hopkins. 

Millon joins first-ranked Class of 2024 recruit Ryan Duenkel in committing to Virginia, as Duenkel announced his decision Sunday. Meanwhile, though the loss of Millon is certain to disappoint, Duke still possesses the first-ranked 2023 recruiting class per Inside Lacrosse, including three of the year's top six recruits—Benn Johnston, Mac Christmas and Tomas Delgado. The Blue Devils now have an available roster spot to pursue a transfer or a top Class of 2024 recruit. 

Sasha Richie profile
Sasha Richie | Sports Managing Editor

Sasha Richie is a Trinity senior and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “No. 1 2023 recruit McCabe Millon decommits from Duke men's lacrosse, will join Virginia” on social media.