From urban studies to Bollywood lyrics: Here are five house courses to consider for fall 2022

Looking for a fun, half-credit course to add on to your schedule last-minute? Here’s a list of five student-taught open house courses you can take for the fall 2022 semester. 

On DukeHub, navigate to the subject, “HOUSECS” and select “View Sections,” to see the full list of available house courses.

Urban Studies 101: Breaking the Duke Bubble
17-SEM (8784)
Taught by Charles Colasurdo, Zoe Macomber and Lindsay Hu, McClendon Tower Level 5, M 5:15-6:45 p.m.

This house course provides an introduction to the field of urban studies and encourages students to examine their role in Durham beyond the walls of Duke’s campus. Through course readings and in-class discussions, students will learn about the multiple areas that form the field of urban studies, like urban humanities, economics, science, design and engineering. Urban Studies 101 will culminate in a student-formulated case study on an urban-centered project focused on a facet of Durham urban life.

Condoms and Counseling
05-SEM (8772)
Taught by Gabrielle Fry, Perkins LINK 060, Th 7-8:30 p.m.

This course provides a safe space for college students to discuss sexual health and pleasure on campus. It further hopes to teach students empowering language that conveys their autonomy as sexual beings. Students will also be prepared to serve as a peer advisor and Peer Advocacy for Sexual Health chat facilitator at the PASH center.

Life Beyond Capitalism: Exploring Community Alternatives
12-SEM (8779)
Taught by Hannah Pechet, Yadira Paz-Martinez and Kathy Lee, Few GG 101 CM, Th 7-8:30 p.m.

This course discusses the destructive aspects of capitalism, and how students can challenge the fundamental dynamics in our current societal system. Students will take a deep dive into the flaws of a capitalistic system and learn about alternative ways an economic system can be designed for the benefit of the people and the planet. Instructors hope that this action-oriented course will help students contribute, whether small or large, to structural change.

Bollywood Lyrics
02-SEM (8769)
Taught by Shourya Agarwal, Perkins LINK 060, M 7-8:30 p.m.

This course analyzes Bollywood lyrics as poetry and explores how the music reflects India’s history from colonization to freedom. No prior knowledge of India or Bollywood is required, and the course will provide translations and contexts for all readings. Potential artists whose works may be read in the course include Ashok Kumar, Kishore Kumar, Mukesh, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, RD Burman, Javed Akhtar, AR Rahman, Jagjit Singh, Arjit Singh, Shreya Ghosal and Badshah.

History of Us
19-SEM (8995)
Taught by Kyran Williams-Roberts, Keohane Quad 4A 201, M 5:15-6:45 p.m. 

This course is an expiration into the history of Black people at Duke. Throughout the course, students will engage with how they can catalyze change at Duke, whilst diving deeper into the history of Black progress within the University.

Ishani Raha profile
Ishani Raha | Senior Editor

Ishani Raha is a Pratt junior and a senior editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “From urban studies to Bollywood lyrics: Here are five house courses to consider for fall 2022” on social media.