Duke men's basketball freshman Dariq Whitehead undergoes surgery to repair foot fracture

<p>Freshman forward Dariq Whitehead is out indefinitely.</p>

Freshman forward Dariq Whitehead is out indefinitely.

Freshman forward Dariq Whitehead underwent successful surgery to repair a right foot fracture Tuesday.

Whitehead is to begin rehab immediately, keeping him on track to play this fall after sustaining the injury Monday in practice. 

"We are happy to share that Dariq underwent a successful procedure today, and is in the best care with our doctors and rehabilitation staff," head coach Jon Scheyer said in a team release Tuesday. "We're confident he'll be back on the court soon."

Whitehead, a 6-foot-6 product of Montverde Academy, was the No. 3-overall recruit per 247Sports and a prospective centerpiece of Scheyer’s first team as head coach. The 18-year-old won the Naismith High School Player of the Year Award and the McDonald’s All-American Game’s most valuable player award in 2022.

Duke begins its season in just more than two months, with its first game scheduled for Nov. 7 at home against Jacksonville.

Micah Hurewitz

Micah Hurewitz is a Trinity senior and was previously a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball freshman Dariq Whitehead undergoes surgery to repair foot fracture” on social media.