The independent news organization of Duke University

Duke Health to continue providing abortion services, expects increase in out-of-state patients

Duke Health will continue to provide abortion services in compliance with current state laws, according to a Friday email obtained by The Chronicle sent from Duke Health leaders to staff.  

The Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade has no immediate impact in North Carolina on Duke Health’s ability to provide care to patients and their families, according to the email. 

“Family planning and reproductive health services, including abortion, continue to be individualized healthcare decisions that our patients make in consultation with clinicians,” the email read. 

Duke Health expects and is preparing to serve an increased number of out-of-state patients. As of now, North Carolina is one of the few states in the South where abortions are protected.  

The NC state legislature has no immediate plans to consider legislation that would restrict abortion services. The current session is expected to adjourn in the next few weeks. 

Duke Health “will assess changes if required by law.” 

“This care is designed for the complex and highly sensitive health and emotional needs of people who are making childbearing decisions,” the email read. “It is also a vital component of our educational mission to train physicians to deliver comprehensive care.”

Milla Surjadi | Editor-in-Chief

Milla Surjadi is a Trinity junior and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke Health to continue providing abortion services, expects increase in out-of-state patients ” on social media.