Here are the campus resources Duke is offering students this summer

<p>The new Student Health and Wellness Center.&nbsp;</p>

The new Student Health and Wellness Center. 

Staying on campus this summer? Here are some changes to Duke’s campus resources you need to know. 

Student Health 

The Student Health summer hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, with the exception of Thursdays with an opening time of 9 a.m. Student Health is closed daily from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. 

Services include those offered during the academic year, including physical exams, nutrition services, mental health services, wellness promotion and risk mitigation programs, sexual violence support services and after hours nurse consultations. Depending on the level of demand and time of day, same day appointments may also be available. 

Student Health also offers symptomatic testing for COVID-19. Students seeking symptomatic testing should call 919-681-9355 to schedule a test. 

In order to access student health services, students living on- or off-campus must pay the summer student health service fee, which is $151 per enrolled summer term.

All services will be available to students regardless of whether they are enrolled in summer courses or not, according to John Vaughn, assistant vice president for student affairs. 

If a student feels sick after the Student Health hours of operation, they should call 919-681-9355 for phone access to a triage nurse. They can provide further guidance on scheduling an appointment or refer the student to emergency care services such as a local Duke Urgent Care clinic or the Duke Emergency Department. 

Dining

All students living on campus must have a meal plan. Students can also pay for food at all Duke Dining locations with FLEX points and credit or debit cards. Specific hours of operation for open locations can be found on the Duke Dining website

Select locations, including Ginger and Soy, JB’s Roasts and Chops, Marketplace, Bella Union, and Pitchforks, will be closed for the whole summer, according to the Duke Dining website. 

Mailroom access

All students will be able to access their mailboxes and use the Smart Locker system this summer. The Student Mailbox Center will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday. 

From May 9 to Aug. 1, “packages will still be processed and delivered, [but] reminder emails will not be sent,” according to an email to students from Duke Campus Mail Services on May 2. Students should check the arrival status of their packages in-person or over phone/by email. 

Library services

All libraries will be open for students and the public this summer. The hours of operation for each library may vary during breaks between summer sessions and on specific days during the summer session. 

All students, regardless of whether they are taking summer courses or not, will have full access to library services and borrowing privileges over the summer. 

Gym access and intramurals

From May 9 to Aug. 13, the Wilson Recreation Center and the Brodie Recreation Center will be open to students, alumni, faculty and staff with Duke Recreation & Physical Education memberships. 

Members can enjoy personal training services, intramural sports, group fitness classes and the climbing wall, among many other services. 

The Wilson Recreation Center will be open from 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday to Friday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. 

Beginning May 16, the indoor climbing wall will be open from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday to Thursday. 

From May 16 to May 31, the Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, and from 12 to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. 

The Brodie Recreation Center will be open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday to Friday and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. 

From May 16 to May 31, the Brodie Aquatics Center will be open from 8 to 10 a.m. and 5 to 8:30 p.m. Monday to Friday and from 9:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. 

According to Nathan McKinnis, managing director of recreation programs, “students who were currently enrolled in the Spring 2022 courses and enrolled in Fall 2022 courses have access covered through their Bursar’s Rec Fee for the duration of the summer” and “can purchase memberships through the MyRec Portal.” 

Monthly memberships are available for $35 and are valid for 30 days from time of purchase or the selected date of activation. 

Members and students can register for intramural sports leagues on IMLeagues. During Summer Term 1, soccer tennis will be offered. During Summer Term 2, 3v3 basketball will be offered.

Group fitness classes will be offered during both terms of the summer term sessions. Members and students must pre-register through their account on the MyRec Portal. 

Amy Guan | Senior Editor

Amy Guan is a Pratt senior and a senior editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Here are the campus resources Duke is offering students this summer” on social media.