Summer construction on Abele Quad to impact bus routes

A water main replacement project will take place on Abele Quad this summer, limiting access to Campus Drive and changing bus routes. 

Construction, which began on May 16 and is estimated to continue through early August, will happen on the northeast side of Abele Quad, near the Allen Building and extending to the Rubenstein wing of Perkins Library. 

With restricted vehicle access, routes that stop at Abele Quad will use a temporary bus stop on Flowers Drive, between the Allen Lot and Sarah P. Duke Gardens. Affected routes include the C1 East-West and the C-Swift Shuttle lines. ADA access is available via a shuttle.  

“The work involves replacement of an aging water line and the addition of two fire hydrants to help protect the buildings in the Abele Quad,” wrote Paul Grantham, assistant vice president for communication services, in an email to The Chronicle. 

Grantham added that the quad will primarily be used as a construction zone during the summer. Other concurrent West Campus projects include renovations to Kilgo Quad, improvements to parking lot lighting and restoration to the windows and pews of the Duke Chapel, according to a release

“This work is just a part of updating our infrastructure to provide good service for another 50 to 75 years,” Grantham wrote.

Sevana Wenn profile
Sevana Wenn | Features Managing Editor

Sevana Wenn is a Trinity sophomore and features managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “ Summer construction on Abele Quad to impact bus routes” on social media.