Duke's conference season is over, but a number of Blue Devils will continue to compete as spring draws closer to summer.
The NCAA announced the selected participants Thursday for the preliminary competitions of the NCAA Outdoor Championships, with 29 Blue Devils qualifying for the NCAA East Regional in Bloomington, Ind. Each will have a chance May 25-28 to advance to Eugene, Ore., to compete for a national title June 8-11.
The Blue Devil women—led by gold-medal performances from Lauren Hoffman, Erin Marsh and the quartet of Carly King, Jenna Crean, Megan McGinnis and Hoffman in the 4x400m relay—placed second at the recent ACC Outdoor Championships. The men tied for sixth behind graduate student Erick Duffy's gold medal in the pole vault.
Two Blue Devils, though, have already punched their tickets to Eugene: Marsh and Isabel Wakefield are among the 24 automatic qualifiers in the heptathlon.
Here is the complete list of Blue Devils currently set to compete in Bloomington:
- 100m: Halle Bieber
- 200m: Bieber, Kelcie Simmons
- 400m: Megan McGinnis, Jenna Crean, Carly King
- 5000m: Michaela Reinhart
- 10000m: Reinhart, Clara Savchik
- 100m hurdles: Erin Marsh, Chyler Turner
- 400m hurdles: Lauren Hoffman
- 3000m steeplechase: Emily Cole
- 4x100m relay: Abby Geiser, Simmons, Bieber, Turner
- 4x400m relay: King, Crean, McGinnis, Hoffman, Marsh, Bieber, Simmons
- High jump: Brianna Smith, Marsh
- Pole vault: Brynn King
- Long jump: Zoe Hughes, Marsh
- Javelin: Dana Baker
The women's 4x400m relay team will consist of four of the listed members.
- 400m: Miles Mingo
- 800m: Beck Wittstadt
- 1500m: Nick Dahl
- 5000m: CJ Ambrosio
- 10000m: Ambrosio
- 3000m steeplechase: Mike Ungvarsky
- High jump: Beau Allen
- Pole vault: Erick Duffy, Michael Fairbanks
- Javelin: William Kahn, Scott Campbell, Luke Jackson, Christopher Shanahan
Get The Chronicle straight to your inbox
Signup for our weekly newsletter. Cancel at any time.
Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.