Former top-40 recruit Reigan Richardson transfers to Duke women’s basketball

Duke landed another transfer Wednesday in Reigan Richardson.

Because adding just one former Bulldog wasn't enough.

Reigan Richardson has committed to Duke, the freshman combo guard announced Wednesday morning via Instagram. Richardson entered the transfer portal out of Georgia after former head coach Joni Taylor departed for the same position at Texas A&M. Richardson joins assistant coach Karen Lange in moving from Athens, Ga., to Durham.

Richardson, a Charlotte native, was ESPN’s No. 34 overall recruit in the Class of 2021. Although she had four ACC schools among her finalists before committing to Georgia, Duke was not among them.

Richardson played 14.7 minutes per game in 2021-22 as the Bulldogs' second guard off the bench. She averaged 5.9 points on 47.5% true-shooting, but ranked in the 90th percentile among guards in field goal percentage in the paint, per CBB Analytics. She has a nose for getting to the line and is an impactful defender, with a 5-foot-11 frame to match up with both guards and wings. That defense is her calling card, as she has excellent lateral quickness and navigates screens very well, bringing the kind of tenacity at the point of attack that the Blue Devils need.

Share and discuss “Former top-40 recruit Reigan Richardson transfers to Duke women’s basketball” on social media.