Duke women's basketball's Shayeann Day-Wilson named ACC Freshman of the Year in coaches poll

Freshman Shayeann Day-Wilson led Duke with 12.3 points per game this season.

Blue Devils, rejoice.

Exciting news broke Tuesday morning for Duke fans, whose phenom freshman guard Shayeann Day-Wilson was named ACC Freshman of the Year by a vote from the league's head coaches. She’s just the fifth Blue Devil in the program’s history to pick up the honor, joining the likes of Alana Beard and Elizabeth Williams and even teammate Elizabeth Balogun, who earned the distinction in her first season at Georgia Tech.

The Toronto native has been a standout player for head coach Kara Lawson all season, leading the team in points (333), points per game (12.3), assists (95) and minutes (747) from her playmaking spot atop the arc. In a year that saw early starting berths hard to come by for Day-Wilson, she’s turned herself into an undroppable asset and more often than not the team’s main offensive impetus.

Day-Wilson is already Canada’s top point guard, competed with her national team at the FIBA U19 World Cup in Hungary and entered this season as the 41st-ranked recruit in the class of 2021. Duke fans will hope this is just the first chapter of a storied career for their superstar.

Andrew Long profile
Andrew Long | Sports Editor

Andrew Long is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball's Shayeann Day-Wilson named ACC Freshman of the Year in coaches poll” on social media.