JobX to replace DukeList for part-time job listings starting April 25

<p class="text-align-left">Duke students embrace a variety of study spots, ranging from Von der Heyden Pavilion to the fourth floor of Perkins to Cocoa Cinnamon.&nbsp;</p>

Duke students embrace a variety of study spots, ranging from Von der Heyden Pavilion to the fourth floor of Perkins to Cocoa Cinnamon. 

You’ve heard of QuadEx—now get ready for JobX.

The new platform, which is set to launch April 25, will replace part-time job listings for students on DukeList, the “centralized campus job site for students.” The change comes after CareerConnections was replaced with Handshake in summer 2021 and during the midst of continued progress towards raising the minimum wage for student jobs.

DukeList job postings, which included on- off-campus jobs and opportunities to conduct research or be a human subject volunteer, will no longer be available starting May 1, according to a banner on the website.

Any Duke employer that wants to hire students for work-study will have to use JobX. Local businesses and nonprofits will also be able to post on the site. 

While the only requirement to use DukeList is a Duke log-in, users will have to follow additional steps to post on JobX. Employers must create separate profiles in order to post jobs on the platform. Additionally, students may not be able to post as freely about miscellaneous opportunities as they could on DukeList.

“The only postings that would be on JobX are for employment positions. If a student/faculty/staff member needs to post a personal position (i.e. house sitter, babysitter, dog walker), they will be able to do so however it will require that they create a profile as an off-campus non-work-study employer,” the Student Employment Office wrote in an email to The Chronicle. “They will not be able to use their Duke credentials to do this.”

The website includes students’ class schedules and will keep track of how much a student has earned in a given semester, all of which is visible from an employee dashboard. Students will also be able to see what jobs they’ve applied to and subscribe to emails about job postings. Job postings will show how many openings are available and who the employer is.

There are forms on the website that allows users to provide feedback on the platform, students to ask questions of the Student Employment Office, and for employers to share positive experiences with posting opportunities or request that a student’s employment be terminated.

Although JobX has a time card functionality called TimesheetX, student employees will continue to use Duke@Work to submit hours worked.

DukeList will still be available for housing, sales and lost and found postings.

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “JobX to replace DukeList for part-time job listings starting April 25” on social media.