Duke's graduate programs earn high marks in new U.S. News & World Report rankings

<p>The offices of the Graduate School now occupy what used to be House 2 for faculty.&nbsp;</p>

The offices of the Graduate School now occupy what used to be House 2 for faculty. 

The U.S. News and World Report just released their rankings of the best graduate schools in the country, and many of Duke’s programs fared well.

The Fuqua School of Business was ranked No. 12 among a list of top business schools, tied with the Leonard N. Stern School of Business at New York University. The two schools did not change rankings from 2022. In the specialty rankings, Fuqua earned several top 10 rankings, including fifth in marketing and eighth in executive MBA and nonprofit.

The School of Law was ranked No. 11 among law schools, one spot down from their 2022 ranking of 10th. 

The School of Medicine was ranked No. 6 for research, tied with the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. This is a drop from their No. 3 ranking in 2022. Their specialty programs also performed well, including a third place ranking for anesthesiology and surgery and fifth place in internal medicine.

The Pratt School of Engineering was ranked No. 24 among graduate engineering programs, tied with the University of Washington. This is the same as their 2022 ranking. In specialty rankings, the program earned seventh in biomedical engineering.

The School of Nursing ranked No. 2 among master’s of science in nursing programs, tied with the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing at Emory University. This is one spot up from their 2022 No. 3 ranking. The school was ranked No. 2 for its doctor of nursing practice.

The Sanford School of Public Policy ranked No. 3 in environmental policy and management, No. 5 in both public policy analysis and social policy and No. 9 in health policy and management. The school tied for No. 23 in best public affairs programs. 

Many of Duke’s other graduate programs ranked within the top 20 schools in the nation, including 

• No. 1 (tie) in physician assistant
  • No. 7 (tie) in statistics 
  • No. 7 in physical therapy
  • No. 10 (tie) in political science
  • No. 11 (tie) in biological sciences
  • No. 12 (tie) in psychology
  • No. 13 (tie) in sociology 
  • No. 13 (tie) in biostatistics 
  • No. 13 (tie) in english 
  • No. 17 (tie) in mathematics
  • No. 18 (tie) in clinical psychology 
  • No. 18 (tie) in economics 
  • No. 18 (tie) in history

Rankings are based on “expert opinion about program excellence and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school's faculty, research and students," according to U.S. News. Data for the rankings came from statistical surveys of more than 2,150 programs and reputation surveys sent to more than 23,200 academics and professionals.

Anisha Reddy | Senior Editor

Anisha Reddy is a Trinity junior and a senior editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke's graduate programs earn high marks in new U.S. News & World Report rankings” on social media.