Jonathan Levitan elected Chronicle sports editor of Vol. 118

<p>Sophomore Jonathan Levitan was elected Vol. 118 sports editor of The Chronicle Friday evening.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore Jonathan Levitan was elected Vol. 118 sports editor of The Chronicle Friday evening. 

In a department-wide meeting Friday, Trinity sophomore Jonathan Levitan was elected to serve as sports editor of The Chronicle’s 118th volume.

Levitan will replace Vol. 117 sports editor Jake Piazza starting April 20, the last day of classes for the 2022 spring semester. 

“I’m honored and proud to know that this department decided to place its faith in me,” Levitan said. “It’s because of that faith that I’m able to feel so confident and committed to this job and to this group, and I can’t wait to get started.”

A native of Mill Valley, Ca., Levitan outlined his plans to further embrace and expand the department’s digital strategy, build an inclusive community through recruitment and bring in a new era of Duke athletics. 

“Jonathan cares so deeply about each and every story he writes, and I am truly thrilled to see the way his passion leads to more great pieces from him and the department. Vol. 118 is in good hands with him, and I cannot wait for our readers to get to see all the incredible things he does when he takes over,” Piazza said. 

Levitan is currently an Assistant Blue Zone Editor along with fellow Assistant Blue Zone Editor Micah Hurewitz and Blue Zone Editor Sasha Richie. During his time so far at The Chronicle, Levitan has covered women’s soccer, football, men’s basketball and men’s lacrosse, and has been a beat writer for all four. 

"Jonathan’s talent was obvious from day one, and I’ve been especially impressed with the work he’s put in and all of his unique initiatives with the Blue Zone this year,” Vol. 116 sports editor Evan Kolin said. “I’m more than confident that this department has a bright future ahead.”

Levitan is currently undeclared, but is planning on pursuing an interdepartmental major in Data Science between Computer Science and Statistics.  

“More than anything, stepping into this role is a commitment to this department and to all of the people in it. I’m so excited to see what we can do together in what’s clearly a new and exciting time in Duke athletics,” Levitan said.

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Jonathan Levitan elected Chronicle sports editor of Vol. 118” on social media.