Duke reports 871 positive COVID-19 tests during first week of return to campus

<p>Duke set up a tent for members of the community to eat outside in an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19.</p>

Duke set up a tent for members of the community to eat outside in an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19.

During the period from Jan. 3 to Jan. 9, Duke reported 871 positive coronavirus tests among students, faculty and staff.  The positivity rate for the week was 5.88%.

There were 236 cases among faculty and staff, with the other 635 among students. Only one-third of undergraduate students were living on campus as of Jan. 6, per Duke Today.

This case load marks a 2710% increase from the period from Dec. 6 to 12, the last week Duke reported test results. That week saw 31 total cases, with a positivity rate of 0.22%.

Only entry tests were administered during the period from Jan. 3 to Jan. 9, with surveillance testing starting Jan. 10. Entry testing will be offered until Jan. 18 as students continue to arrive on campus. 

There are currently 603 active cases on campus, including 441 students and 162 faculty and staff.

This week's increased caseload comes in the context of rapidly increasing COVID-19 cases sweeping North Carolina and the nation due to the Omicron variant, which scientists have found to be more transmissible than earlier variants. 

Throughout the semester, unvaccinated students will be surveillance tested two times each week.Vaccinated students will be required to complete surveillance testing at least once each week. Unvaccinated faculty and staff must participate in weekly surveillance testing, while vaccinated faculty and staff have the option to do so. 

​​Duke has required that all students and employees receive the COVID-19 booster shot in January or as soon as they are eligible under Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state guidelines. Students, faculty and staff should submit proof of vaccination as soon as they receive a booster shot. 

The deadline for faculty and staff to receive the booster has been extended to Feb. 15, or 28 days after becoming eligible, in light of the CDC changing eligibility criteria for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines to five months.

Editor's note: This article was updated at 3:05 p.m. Monday to reflect the updated booster deadline for faculty and staff.

Anna Zolotor profile
Anna Zolotor

Anna Zolotor is a Trinity senior and recruitment chair for The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Duke reports 871 positive COVID-19 tests during first week of return to campus” on social media.