DSG senators hear funding presentations, discuss at-large application process

<p>DSG at their Sept. 22, 2021 meeting.</p>

DSG at their Sept. 22, 2021 meeting.

Duke Student Government senators reviewed the at-large application process for open DSG positions and overviewed DSG’s funds during their Wednesday meeting. 

Junior Drew Flanagan, chair of the Student Organization Finance Committee, described a new SOFC project ideated upon reviewing available funds in SOFC accounts. Flanagan detailed how last year’s decrease in funding requests from student groups due to COVID-19 led to an accumulation of current SOFC funds. 

“I think it’s also good to recognize that current students are the ones paying the student activities fee, so we have an obligation as DSG to make sure our efforts are sort of going towards serving the needs and making fun projects and initiatives for the students who are currently here,” Flanagan said.

Flanagan proposed a new project in which SOFC members and senators would organize and fund eight outings that all undergraduates, with the company of five friends, could choose from. Ideas suggested for these events include trips to farmers markets, supporting minority-owned businesses and going to dinners.

DSG Executive Vice President Ramya Ginjupalli, a senior, also led the treasurer update presentation covering an overview of DSG’s accounts, types of payment requests and how senators can request funds. 

Senator at-large applications—where senators are selected through an interview process rather than elections—are due Friday, Jan. 14. DSG vice presidents will evaluate the applications and conduct interviews. The senators hope to select their newest members by the following week. 

“It’ll be really exciting, and I hope you all are able to look at the new senators that we’ll have,” Ginjupalli said.

In other business

DSG recognized Duke Quantitative Trading, a pre-professional organization for students interested in quantitative finance, algorithmic trading and derivatives research.

Audrey Wang profile
Audrey Wang | Editor-in-Chief

Audrey Wang is a Trinity junior and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “DSG senators hear funding presentations, discuss at-large application process” on social media.