Duke men's soccer star Thorleifur Ulfarsson forgoes NCAA eligibilty, enters MLS SuperDraft

Ulfarsson is just the second Blue Devil to sign a Generation Adidas contract.

Duke's sophomore star Thorleifur Ulfarsson has declared for the MLS SuperDraft after signing a contract with Generation Adidas. 

Ulfarsson becomes just the second Blue Devil in program history since Andrew Wenger to sign a contract with Generation Adidas, a program that enables select elite soccer players at American universities to enter the MLS SuperDraft before their senior year. Every No. 1 pick in the draft since 2003 has been a Generation Adidas signee.

The Kopavogur, Iceland native received numerous accolades this season, including being named a First-Team All-American, a MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist, a First-Team All-ACC honoree and the ACC Offensive Player of the Year. He also led both Duke and the ACC in goals and points and finished second in the NCAA for goals per game with 15 goals in 16 games. 

He finishes his career with the Blue Devils with 19 goals and two assists in 24 total games. Joining the team in the spring portion of the 2020-21 season, the striker took off in his sophomore season and posted the eighth-best goal-scoring season in program history. 

The 2022 MLS SuperDraft will take place Tuesday, Jan. 11 at 3 p.m. EST. 

Sasha Richie profile
Sasha Richie | Sports Managing Editor

Sasha Richie is a Trinity senior and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's soccer star Thorleifur Ulfarsson forgoes NCAA eligibilty, enters MLS SuperDraft” on social media.