Recruiting roundup: Head coach-in-waiting Jon Scheyer completes 2022 recruiting class, secures 2023 commits

Scheyer's inaugural recruiting class as head coach is the nation's top recruiting class.

The new year is about looking ahead, so join the Blue Zone as we take a look at Duke men's basketball's upcoming recruiting classes:

Six commitments. Three consensus five-star recruits. The nation’s top recruiting class. Head coach-in-waiting Jon Scheyer’s top-notch Class of 2022 commits don’t need too many words to describe their greatness. The numbers speak for themselves, and with plenty of this year’s contributors expected to head off to the NBA draft after this season, Scheyer is making sure the Blue Devils don’t miss a beat between this season and next season. 

However, after that, Scheyer is already starting to line out the 2023 roster, and this update sums up the latest players who will join The Brotherhood in 2022 and 2023. Let’s take a look at the group coming to Durham soon.

Dereck Lively II (No. 1, C, 2022, signed)

Lively in name and lively on the court, the nation’s No. 1 national recruit and center per 247Sports was a tough recruit to grab, pursued by Kentucky, Penn State, North Carolina and others until the very end of his recruiting process. He comes in as one of the nation’s top defensive players after registering an average of 8.4 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.7 blocks this summer in Nike’s Elite Youth Basketball League. Former Blue Devils to also compete in the circuit include Grayson Allen, RJ Barrett and Jabari Parker. Joining the Blue Devils from Westtown School in Bellefonte, Pa., the 7-foot-2 center was Scheyer’s fourth commit in the 2022 recruiting class and cited that “after [his] playing career, a Duke degree is important to [him].” With his NBA-hopeful skills and 7-foot-8 wingspan, Lively will help this upcoming Duke team to success in Scheyer’s first year at the helm.

Dariq Whitehead (No. 3, F, 2022, signed)

The 6-foot-6 small forward from Montverde Academy’s commitment seemed almost too good to be true. Whitehead comes to Durham after turning down offers from Florida State and Kansas and a $500,000 G League deal presented to him the day before he committed to Duke. He’s powerful on both sides of the ball, averaging 16.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists on Team Durant of the EYBL, and he has proved himself a formidable defender with experience guarding former high school teammates and fellow top-10 recruits including Scottie Barnes, Caleb Houstan and Cade Cunningham. Whitehead’s addition to the team and likely to the starting five will elevate the Blue Devils, and it’s only a matter of time until Duke faithful get to see it firsthand.

Mark Mitchell (No. 10, F, 2022, committed)

As the fourth five-star and Scheyer’s last top-10 recruit to join the 2023 roster, Mitchell was one of the last recruits to finalize his decision. With nearly three months between his official visit and his commitment announcement, Mitchell chose Duke over UCLA and Missouri. The 6-foot-8 small forward is known for using his size to his advantage through consistently finishing above the rim, as well as his footwork skills and his playmaking abilities. With Mitchell’s commitment, Scheyer formally elevated the Class of 2022 to the top recruiting class.

Kyle Filipowski (No. 11, F, 2022, signed)

The 6-foot-11 commit hailing from Wilbraham & Monson Academy was Scheyer’s first commitment of the 2022 recruiting class. Filipowski accepted his offer nearly one month after receiving it, citing in an interview with Rivals that waiting “would only delay the inevitable.” With his size and skill, Filipowski climbed the recruiting rankings, starting 2021 ranked 92nd, and added a star to his rating before joining the Blue Devils. At the National Prep Showcase, he went 3-for-3 from three and 9-of-12 from the field and finished with 14 rebounds, two steals and two blocks. Getting five-star Filipowski on board was an exemplary first step by Scheyer in crafting his inaugural roster.

Jaden Schutt (No. 53, G, 2022, signed)

As Duke’s third commit to the class of 2022, Schutt is the perfect addition for playing against solid defensive teams. The Yorkville, Ill. native joins the roster after registering averages of 26.2 points, 7.9 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 3.6 steals in his junior season at Yorkville Christian. His court stats prove that the 6-foot-5 guard has what it takes to play against powerhouse opponents, and Schutt’s 38.7% 3-point percentage last season will undoubtedly be instrumental in getting big points on the scoreboard in 2022. Starting his final high school season averaging 27.9 points, 6.6 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.6 steals per game, Schutt is staying consistent before he comes to Durham in the fall.

Christian Reeves (Unranked, C, 2022, committed)

Rounding out this recruiting class is Christian Reeves, the commit who flew under everyone’s radar. The 7-foot-1 center is likely the final touch to an already impressive 2022 recruiting class, with no more remaining offers to clinch. However, Reeves comes in as the nation’s No. 37 center from Oak Hill Academy, where he plays with Foster, and it’s evident that this future Blue Devil will bring much to the table with him. Featuring a solid build and an eagerness to learn, Reeves is an excellent insertion to this already stacked roster, as the three-star recruit completes a class with three five-star and two four-star commits.

Caleb Foster (No. 12, G, 2023, committed)

Duke’s first class of 2023 commit, Foster chooses the Blue Devils after receiving Louisville, Texas, Stanford and Illinois offers, among others. The 6-foot-5 Mouth of Wilson, Va. native is a five-star and the No. 2 point guard in his class. He’s excellent at playmaking, shooting at all points beyond or below the arc and has an eye for defensive plays. Though Foster currently plans to join the squad as part of next year’s recruiting class, the Oak Hill Academy player has yet to rule out reclassifying and joining his future teammates as early as next season.

Sean Stewart (No. 25, F, 2023, committed)

Stewart is the newest addition to the Blue Devil family and the second member of Scheyer’s 2023 recruiting class. The Windemere Academy forward comes to Durham with a muscular build that enables him to force his way into the paint, and his 6-foot-8 frame gives him solid rebounding ability on both sides of the court and blocking ability on the defensive side. He is also armed and dangerous from beyond the arc. Stewart’s decision to choose Duke comes after receiving offers from Stanford, Michigan, Georgetown, Ohio State, Kansas, Howard and Harvard. When announcing his commitment, Stewart wrote in a blog for Sports Illustrated that playing for Duke had been his dream since “third or fourth grade” and that he’s family friends with Grant Hill.

Share and discuss “Recruiting roundup: Head coach-in-waiting Jon Scheyer completes 2022 recruiting class, secures 2023 commits” on social media.