Duke football hires Kevin Johns as offensive coordinator, Patrick Dougherty as special teams coordinator

<p>Head coach Mike Elko's coaching staff now has its offensive coordinator go along with the other previously announced coaches.&nbsp;</p>

Head coach Mike Elko's coaching staff now has its offensive coordinator go along with the other previously announced coaches. 

Head coach Mike Elko has brought on a couple more members to his staff.

Kevin Johns was officially announced as Duke's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jan. 10, per a team release. Johns has been the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Memphis for the past three seasons where he led the team to a No. 22 national ranking in total offense in 2020 and a No. 38 ranking this season. 

During his Memphis tenure, Johns mentored quarterback Brady White, who threw for over 4,000 yards during Johns' first season as coordinator of the Tigers in 2019. Johns has spent time as the offensive coordinator at Texas Tech, Western Michigan and Indiana as well, and has been on a college coaching staff since 1999. 

In addition to Johns, the program announced the hire of Patrick Dougherty as the special teams coordinator and tight ends coach. Dougherty served in the same capacity at Ball State for the eight years prior to his arrival in Durham. 

Elko has also brought on Robb Smith as defensive coordinator, Lyle Hemphill as the safeties coach and Harland Bower as the defensive ends coach. 

Editor's note: This article has been updated since the program announced Dougherty as its special teams coordinator. 

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke football hires Kevin Johns as offensive coordinator, Patrick Dougherty as special teams coordinator” on social media.