Duke expands entry testing, provides alternative option for students unable to schedule pre-arrival PCR tests

<p>The Languages Building on Abele Quad.</p>

The Languages Building on Abele Quad.

Duke sent additional information about entry testing and getting a PCR test before arriving on campus in a Wednesday evening email to undergraduate students from Student Affairs.

The email reiterated that students who are able should get a PCR test within the 48-hour period prior to arriving on campus. These students will then complete an entry test once arriving on campus and must sequester—which means remaining in their on- or off-campus housing except “to exercise, get food, or attend to other essential health and safety activities”—until they receive a negative entry test result.

Those who cannot schedule a PCR test prior to arriving on campus can instead sequester through two rounds of entry and surveillance testing. These students will receive an entry test once arriving on campus and a second surveillance test 48 hours later; they must sequester until both test results come back negative.

Students must attest that they received a PCR test before returning to Durham or that they will sequester through the two rounds of testing once on campus. The attestation form will be sent to students via email Thursday.

Residence halls open at noon Jan. 2 and entry testing will be available at the Bryan Center from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Off-campus students should test Jan. 4 if they are in the area on that date, or once they return to Durham.

Duke is also expanding entry testing options for students who wish to delay arrival until the weekend prior to the start of in-person classes, which are now slated to begin Jan. 10; the University will host classes online from Jan. 5 to 7, a move originally announced Dec. 22. Students will now be able to complete entry testing between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Jan. 8 and 9 at Marketplace, the Bryan Center and the Washington Duke Inn.

Surveillance testing will resume Jan. 3.

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Leah Boyd profile
Leah Boyd

Leah Boyd is a Pratt senior and a social chair of The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Duke expands entry testing, provides alternative option for students unable to schedule pre-arrival PCR tests” on social media.