Black tenting canceled, Blue tenting to take its place in postponed start

Tenting season will begin Jan. 16, one week later than initially scheduled.

The lead-up to Duke’s season finale against North Carolina March 5—and head coach Mike Krzyzewski’s last game at Cameron Indoor Stadium—will look a little bit different this spring.

Duke's head line monitors announced changes to Duke’s upcoming tenting season in an email Thursday night. Originally scheduled to begin Jan. 9, tenting season will now commence Jan. 16, and Black tenting will no longer take place.

“Due to recent COVID concerns with the rise of the Omicron variant, we have had to adjust the rules of K-Ville for this upcoming tenting season to ensure the health and safety of Duke students and faculty,” said co-head line monitors Caroline Bower and Cameron Jarnot in the email. “All changes have been made in coordination with athletics and administration. Please note that everything is subject to change given how things progress when we get back.”

With tenting season tipoff delayed one week, Black tenting—the longest tenting period which awards the best seats to undergraduate students—will not occur. Instead, the Blue tenting period will begin a week earlier than initially scheduled Jan. 16. 

While Blue tenting typically requires just one person present in K-Ville during the day, it will now require two, and additional restrictions require these groups to split into multiple tents. At night, Blue tent groups must have six people in K-Ville, with a maximum of two per tent. Two additional tents will be provided to Blue tenting groups, and White tenting groups do not need to purchase tents of their own.

All participants will be required to test for COVID-19 more frequently than other students, with more information to come.

In accordance with the one-week delay, the potential entry trivia test will now take place Jan. 9 at 1 p.m. in Wallace Wade Stadium if more than 70 groups register for Blue tenting. The trivia test was initially scheduled to take place Jan. 5.

Undergraduate students interested in registering a Blue tent for K-Ville can do so here beginning at noon Jan. 2. The form requires 10 students with NetIDs and each tent needs 12 people in the group with one person designated the captain. White tents, however, can instead later register for the Race to The Secret Spots to secure their spot in K-Ville.

An additional email to students from line monitors Jan. 1 ahead of the Jan. 2 registration date clarified that while tenting policy remains unchanged in light of Duke’s recent decision to postpone the start of in-person classes, line monitors are still “waiting to hear directly from administration and athletics” regarding potential changes.

This is a developing story. Please check back here for more updates. 

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Black tenting canceled, Blue tenting to take its place in postponed start” on social media.