Sportswrap: Duke women's basketball upsets Iowa, men's basketball falls to Ohio State

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of Nov. 29-Dec. 4.

Men’s basketball 

The Blue Devils quickly crashed down to Earth after their win against Gonzaga, getting upset by Ohio State 71-66 Tuesday in Columbus, Ohio. Duke (7-1) shot an abysmal 38.5% from the field and outside of another stellar all-around performance from Wendell Moore Jr., the team struggled mightily against the Buckeyes and surrendered 20 points to forward Zed Key. Duke has to wait until Dec. 14 to get back into the win column, taking on South Carolina State in Cameron Indoor Stadium. -Jake Piazza

Women’s basketball 

Duke women’s basketball continued its unbeaten season with an impressive 77-55 win against Penn in Philadelphia. Freshman point guard Shayeann Day-Wilson put in yet another impressive performance for the Blue Devils (8-0), knocking down 14 points to lead the team, closely followed by senior forward Elizabeth Balogun with 13. On the whole, 12 different players contributed to Duke’s commanding margin of victory and the team went 49.2% from the field. The Kara Lawson era remains a revolution for the Blue Devils, who next take on perennial titan South Carolina at home Dec. 13. -Andrew Long 

Track and field 

The indoor track and field season began in earnest for the Blue Devils on Saturday at the JDL College Kick-off in Winston-Salem, N.C. The women, who competed on Saturday, notched five first-place finishes and seven top-five finishes, while the men, who competed on Sunday, notched three and five, respectively. Duke takes a much-deserved winter break before returning for the Virginia Tech Invitational in Blacksburg, Va. -Long

Wrestling 

Duke headed to the capital this weekend for two separate competitions in duals. The Blue Devils (3-4) competed with Drexel and Maryland Saturday in the Maryland Duals, where they defeated the Dragons 25-20 then fell to the Terrapins 23-17. The team saw two more losses to round out the trip Sunday, with Hofstra and American taking home the victories at Bender Arena. Twin redshirt seniors Matt and Josh Finesilver went undefeated throughout the competition, bringing Matt up to a 14-0 record for the season and Josh to 13-1. Logan Agin and Wade Unger followed the Finesilver brothers in registered triumphs, with both going 3-1 throughout the weekend. -Ana Young

Editor's note: This is the last Sportswrap of 2021. The Chronicle will run its next Sportswrap Jan. 10. 

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Andrew Long profile
Andrew Long | Sports Editor

Andrew Long is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Duke women's basketball upsets Iowa, men's basketball falls to Ohio State” on social media.