2021-22 Miami men's basketball preview

Miami Hurricanes

2020-21 record: 10-17, 4-15 in the ACC

Head coach: Jim Larrañaga 

Tenure at Miami: 11th season

Career coaching record: 670-464

Home court: Watsco Center

Starters: G Kameron McGusty, G Isaiah Wong, G Charlie Moore, G Jordan Miller, F Sam Waardenburg

Bench: G Harlond Beverly, G Wooga Poplar, F Deng Gak, F Anthony Walker, C Rodney Miller Jr.

Overview: Miami has had a rough string of losing seasons, but, after third-year sophomore Isaiah Wong and sixth-year redshirt senior Kameron McGusty withdrew their names from the NBA draft, the Hurricanes have a better chance this season. Wong led the team last season with 17.1 points per game while McGusty contributed with the second most points.

Freshman Bensley Joseph is a top-100 recruit, while Charlie Moore is a transfer from DePaul who had 14.4 points per game last season, and Jordan Miller is a transfer from George Mason with 15.8 points per game on his 2020-21 record. 

There will also be some veteran players whose performances are up in the air, like junior Harlond Beverly who has been inconsistent but can be a great contributor if he rides off of the confidence of a hot streak. With Miami’s new talent coming in, they have a more promising outlook than years past. 

Team ceiling: The Hurricanes haven’t made an NCAA tournament appearance since 2018, and the last time they made it to the second round was in 2016, so it’s likely that the best outcome for this team is making it back to the second round.

Team floor:  A worst-case scenario for this team is an even tougher losing season than last year with a lower-end seed in the ACC tournament.

Share and discuss “2021-22 Miami men's basketball preview” on social media.