2021-22 Boston College men's basketball preview

Boston College Eagles

2020-21 record: 4-16, 2-11 in the ACC

Head Coach: Earl Grant

Tenure at Boston College: First season

Career coaching record: 127-89

Home court: Conte Forum

Starters: G Makai Ashton-Langford, G Brevin Galloway, G DeMarr Langford Jr., F Frederick Scott, F James Karnik

Bench: G Jaeden Zackery, F T.J. Bickerstaff, F Devin McGlockton, F Gianni Thompson, F Quinten Post, C Justin Vander Baan

Overview: Boston College had an abysmal 2020-21 campaign, with only two of its four wins coming in conference games, resulting in a last-place ACC finish. The majority of the starters left via the transfer portal or the NBA Draft, so the Eagles are essentially starting from the ground up. Former College of Charleston head coach Earl Grant has taken over the team, and he rebuilt the Cougars program just as he will attempt to do for Boston College. 

The Eagles brought in a few transfers including Brevin Galloway, Quinten Post, and T.J. Bickerstaff. The additions offer them scoring power in Galloway and much-needed size in the seven-foot Post. However, this is the ACC, and Boston College doesn’t pose much of a threat to anyone this season, let alone its conference opponents. 

Team ceiling: Grant proves to be an inspiration for his new team and the group comes together to form a cohesive unit. The Eagles pull off a few upset conference wins, and while they don’t pose an ACC threat, they can’t be counted on for an easy blowout. It's still highly unlikely that we see Boston College in the tournament field.

Team floor: The team struggles to form chemistry and the new additions take steps back under Grant. The Eagles land firmly at the bottom of the ACC. 

Rachael Kaplan profile
Rachael Kaplan | Sports Managing Editor

Rachael Kaplan is a Trinity junior and sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “2021-22 Boston College men's basketball preview” on social media.