The independent news organization of Duke University

DSG votes on line monitor rules, hears SOFC mid-semester report at Wednesday meeting

Duke Student Government heard a mid-semester finance report for campus organizations and approved new line monitor rules in its Wednesday meeting.

At the Oct. 6 meeting, the Student Organization Finance Committee presented its mid-semester report, led by junior and chair Drew Flanagan; junior and executive vice-chair Hannah Long; sophomore Bea de Oliveira, vice-chair of management and communication and senior Hadeel Hamoud, vice-chair of policy and outreach. 

The presentation began with a numerical breakdown of SOFC’s accomplishments to date this semester. Out of 88 funding requests, $67,301.55 was approved from the programming fund and $204,013.13 was approved from the annual budget. Fifteen new student organizations were approved, while four student organizations underwent status changes.

Additionally, 309 student leaders attended the Sept. 2 Student Leader Kick-off and Training, and 26 students from the Class of 2025 applied to the first-year SOFC analyst role.

The executive board showcased a list of new initiatives meant to prioritize “transparency, visibility, and equity,” according to the presentation. The plans include a detailed funding policies page, one-on-one support for student leaders ahead of hearings and cultural and identity group roundtables to improve communication and share resources with groups.

“The goal of all of our projects is to make sure that everybody knows about the resources SOFC can provide and understands them and can take full advantage of them, because we are so lucky to have this many resources,” Long said.

The SOFC board also explained its new single-stream support program for the Duke Partnership for Service and Undergraduate Publications Board. Previously, student publications and service organizations had to apply to other sources of financial support, such as dPS and the Bassett Fund. With the single-stream support initiative, SOFC allows organizations to apply for multiple funds with SOFC at the same time, optimizing the club funding process. SOFC is also working to expand this project to the Cultural Engagement Fund.

Future projects that are in the works include grants for organization collaboration and local dining and activities, institutionalizing graduation stoles and a senator residence program to let DSG members get a peek behind the scenes within SOFC.

Senators also approved new line monitor rules presented at their Sept. 29 meeting, which included changes to walk-up line registration and grace periods.

In other business

Sophomore Chase Barclay, senator of academic affairs and undergraduate representative for Duke’s Information Technology Advisory Council, gave a presentation on ITAC.

The group’s mission is to “[promote] the appropriate and effective use of information technology” on campus by recommending information technology policies and practices at Duke, reviewing and reporting on the status of Duke IT and advising Duke IT leadership on relevant technological issues, according to the presentation.

Sophomore senator Zoe Tishaev and first-year senator Jax Nalley were nominated and confirmed to the ITAC. Sophomore Rosa Golchin was confirmed as director of environmental affairs and policy, while junior Daniel Billings was confirmed as co-director of international student outreach and policy. 

DSG also recognized the Duke Impact Investing Group and approved $280 in funds for the Muslim Students Association to rent AV equipment for its fall banquet.

Share and discuss “DSG votes on line monitor rules, hears SOFC mid-semester report at Wednesday meeting” on social media.