When confronted with a menu full of raised prices, it can feel impossible to eat healthy food at Duke without spending more than your food plan allows. The Chronicle compiled a list of little-known ways to get more bang for your buck at some of West Campus’ dining locations.
At many of the Brodhead Center’s dining locations, side dishes and add-ons can be cheap and filling. For less than five dollars, it is possible to get up to four ounces of protein, a salad or spring rolls.
By eating from only Ginger & Soy, Sazón and Skillet when she visits West Campus, first-year Emily Yagoda can eat at the Brodhead Center twice a day without having to stress about running out of food points.
“I’ve never spent more than five dollars, unless I get a double portion, which I do every once and a while,” Yagoda said.
Contrary to popular opinion, cheap eating doesn’t have to be bland. For instance, if you purchase protein at Sazón, sauces are added for free. Sometimes lettuce or cheese can also be added for no cost.
First-years also have the option of saving salads, sauces and sides from the buffet-style dining at Marketplace on East Campus and combining them with protein from West for a filling lunch.
Here is a guide to eating under $5 on West Campus:
Ginger & Soy
- Fish - $3.65 (Options: salmon, tuna)
- Protein (about 4 oz) - $3.55 (Options: chicken, pork, tofu, beef)
- Fried egg - $1.55
- Spring rolls - $2.10
- Vegetable samosa (2) - $4.50
- Protein (about 4 oz) - $2.35 (Options: grilled chicken, carnitas, barbacoa, portobello mushrooms)
- Burger patty (4 ounces) - $4
- Fried egg - $2
- Grilled chicken - $4
- Smoked bacon (2 slices) - $3
- Small entree - $4.10 (Options: tofu bean curd, Beijing beef, black pepper angus steak, black pepper chicken , broccoli beef, crispy almond chicken, grilled teriyaki chicken, honey sesame chicken, honey walnut shrimp, Kung Pao chicken, mushroom chicken, orange chicken, string bean chicken breast)
- Spring rolls (2) - $1.95
- Rangoons (3) - $1.95
- Potato salad - $3.59
- Pasta salad - $3.59
- Small garden salad - $3.59
Additionally, almost all sides at The Skillet and JB Roast & Chips are priced under $5. These can easily be combined for a cheap meal. Almost every option at McDonald’s in the Bryan Center is less than $5.
Get The Chronicle straight to your inbox
Signup for our weekly newsletter. Cancel at any time.
Millie Caughey is a Trinity first-year and a staff reporter for the news department.