2021-22 Cleveland State men's basketball preview

Cleveland State Vikings

2020-21 record: 19-8, 16-4 in the Horizon League

Head coach: Dennis Gates

Career coaching record: 30-29

Tenure at Cleveland State: 3rd season

Home court: Wolstein Center

Starters: G Craig Beaudion, G Tre Gomillion, G D’Moi Hodge, G/F Torrey Patton, F Deante Johnson

Bench: F Algevon Eichelberger, G Nathanael Jack, G Broc Finstuen, G Yahel Hill, F Jayson Woodrich

Overview: A team that relies on its seasoned veterans, the Cleveland State Vikings are returning nearly everyone from a 2021-21 campaign that saw them narrowly emerge as victors of the Horizon League, achieving their first NCAA tournament bid since the 2008-09 season. Patton was the star of the show last year, averaging almost 15 points and 8 rebounds per game for the Vikings. The team adds a few key transfer pieces to the bench, looking to add value to the established core.

Last spring, Cleveland State couldn’t get the job done against a formidable Houston squad in March, but Gates will surely be looking for more, after turning around a disappointing first season to a very successful second.

Team ceiling: Returning almost all of the team’s offense, the Vikings will look to repeat their NCAA tournament appearance from last March, and do a little more damage in the first weekend. If Patton can somehow improve from a banner year last year, this team could look like a likely first round upset candidate after winning the Horizon League for a second year in a row.

Team floor: If starters regress, and the key bench transfers fail to make a contribution, this Cleveland State team could end up narrowly missing the NCAA tournament. It would be a high finisher in the Horizon League, but fall short of an at-large bid.

Share and discuss “2021-22 Cleveland State men's basketball preview” on social media.