Joey Baker, Wendell Moore Jr. named Duke men’s basketball captains

Senior Joey Baker shot a career-best 39.4% from 3-point land in his sophomore season.

Two of Duke’s longest-tenured players earned the nod from their teammates to be the captains of this year’s squad. 

Senior Joey Baker and junior Wendell Moore Jr. will be the team’s two captains, Steve Wiseman of The News & Observer first reported and the team later announced. Baker is the last remaining member from the 2018 recruiting class and Moore is one of three players left from his 2019 class. 

Baker has had an up and down career as a Blue Devil, highlighted by his 39.4% 3-point percentage as a sophomore, and he can be lethal from downtown when he gets quality looks at the basket. It is expected that Baker is a significant rotation piece this year, especially with freshman AJ Griffin out with a sprained knee to start the year. 

Moore has proven that on nights when he is firing on all cylinders, there are few players who can be more impactful. The question with Moore has just been consistency, but if he can iron that out, his junior campaign will likely feature more games like his 25-point, four-steal and four-rebound game against Boston College last season. 

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Joey Baker, Wendell Moore Jr. named Duke men’s basketball captains” on social media.