2021-22 Army men's basketball preview

Army Black Knights

2020-21 record: 12-10, 7-7 in the Patriot League

Head coach: Jimmy Allen 

Tenure at Virginia: 6th season

Career coaching record: 66-80

Home court: Christl Arena

Starters: G Josh Caldwell, G Jalen Rucker, G Blake Barker, F Charlie Peterson, F Aaron Duhart

Bench: G Noah Jager, G Jordan Coleman, G Isaiah Caldwell, G Jared Cross, F Ben Jensen

Overview: It’s fitting that head coach Mike Krzyzewski's alma mater and the team that first made him a coach will compete against Duke in his last season. This will be a nonconference game during Duke’s Veterans Day Weekend Showcase for its first home contest of the season. Senior Josh Caldwell led Army with 12.6 points per game last year and was named the 2020-21 Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year, and he's back as a starter again. Alongside him is sophomore Jalen Rucker, who averaged 9.6 points per game last season and was called to the 2020-21 Patriot League All-Rookie Team.

The Black Knights lost some of their other top scorers in Lonnie Grayson and Alex King, who both graduated last year. Army has some new players coming in as well, like freshman Blake Barker who is a 42% 3-point shooter on 340 attempts in his high school career. Isaiah Caldwell will also be joining the Black Knights and Army fans will hope can be as productive as his older brother.

Team ceiling: Army is one of 44 Division I teams in history that has never appeared in the NCAA tournament. A best-case outcome for this team is participating in the tournament.

Team floor: Army had a tied record in the Patriot League last season so a bad outcome for the Black Knights is a losing season. 

Share and discuss “2021-22 Army men's basketball preview” on social media.