Duke men's basketball picked to finish first, Paolo Banchero tabbed as preseason POY in ACC Media poll

If it was not already clear, Coach K and company have high expectations going into the season.

According to media members, the Blue Devils have the best player in the ACC and are the conference favorite going into November. 

Tuesday morning, preseason ACC voting results were revealed, with Duke finding itself as the projected regular season champions ahead of Florida State and North Carolina. This marks the fourth time in the last five seasons that the Blue Devils are the preseason choice for top team in the conference, but surprisingly, the program has not won the outright regular season title since 2010. 

In other news, Paolo Banchero snagged Preseason Player and Rookie of the Year, coming in 12 votes ahead of Virginia Tech forward Keve Aluma for Player of the Year and 59 votes ahead of teammate Trevor Keels for Rookie of the Year.

Banchero, along with Aluma, Miami's Isaiah Wong, Syracuse's Buddy Boeheim and North Carolina's Armando Bacot, was named to the Preseason All-ACC First Team. On the Second Team, Wendell Moore Jr. and Mark Williams—who garnered three and two votes for ACC Player of the Year, respectively—were listed. 

The full results can be found here

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball picked to finish first, Paolo Banchero tabbed as preseason POY in ACC Media poll” on social media.