Duke in the NFL: Jones makes impressive catch, Crowder delivers modest performance

Daniel Jones went viral with his one-handed reception against the Panthers.

Another week of NFL action is in the books, so the Blue Zone is back to keep you up to date on how former Blue Devils are performing at the professional level. Here's what you missed in Week Seven:

Daniel Jones, QB, New York Giants

Daniel Jones did not let his shaky Week Six performance faze him this week, even as he went into the 25-3 win against the Panthers lacking many of his main offensive weapons in running back Saquon Barkley and wide receivers Sterling Shepard, Kadarius Toney and Kenny Golladay. Jones delivered a strong performance, completing 23 of 33 pass attempts for 203 yards and one touchdown while also rushing the ball eight times for 28 yards. 

As solid as Jones was this week passing and rushing the ball, perhaps the most awe-inspiring aspect of his performance was a 16-yard reception. At the end of the third quarter, the Giants dialed up a trick play: while receiver Dante Pettis usually catches passes thrown by Jones, this time it was the other way around. Jones, who played basketball in high school, put his skills on full display, impressively hauling in a one-handed grab along the sideline. The reception etched Jones’ name in league history, as he joins only two other quarterbacks in NFL history to have 200+ passing yards, 25+ rushing yards, and 15+ receiving yards in a single game. 

The catch demonstrates the Giants’ increasing use of Jones’ athleticism and versatility. His 28 rushing yards this Sunday push his season total to 229 yards, which ranks third among quarterbacks—behind only the Ravens’ Lamar Jackson and the Eagles’ Jalen Hurts. 

Jamison Crowder, WR, New York Jets

In his matchup against the New England Patriots, Jamison Crowder delivered a solid yet modest performance. The veteran receiver caught four of six targets for 34 yards, trailing running backs Ty Johnson and Michael Carter in targets.

Moving forward without rookie quarterback Zach Wilson—who exited the game in the second quarter due to a knee injury—Crowder, largely an underneath option, might become a favorite target for Wilson's replacement if he is unable or unwilling to push the ball downfield. With the trade deadline approaching, Crowder should look to impress on Sunday against the Bengals if he is to prove his value as a veteran on a young, rebuilding team. 

Noah Gray, TE, Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas City's tight end corps was beaten up going into Week 7, with Jody Fortson out for the season, Blake Bell returning from a back injury and Travis Kelce having missed practice due to a neck injury. 

Rookie Noah Gray, then, saw increased playing time. He took 31% of the team's offensive snaps, the second-most by a tight end against the Titans, and caught his only target for four yards. Even though he remains the third tight end on the Chiefs’ depth chart, Gray’s developing role within the offense is a promising start to his career.

Lucas Patrick, Guard, Green Bay Packers

Veteran guard Lucas Patrick started at center Sunday against the Washington Football Team in place of injured rookie Josh Myers. Facing a talented pass rush featuring young stars Chase Young and Montez Sweat, Patrick and the Green Bay offensive line offered solid protection for quarterback Aaron Rodgers, allowing three sacks during the game and none after halftime. 

Alyssa Ting | Photography Editor

Alyssa Ting is a Trinity junior and a photography editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Jones makes impressive catch, Crowder delivers modest performance” on social media.