How do graduate students get tickets to Duke men’s basketball games this year?

Guest ticket policies for graduate students is different this year than it has been in years past.

The protocol for graduate students to get tickets to Duke men’s basketball games this year will be a little different than in previous years. 

The Chronicle reviewed a copy of the email that is expected to be sent out to all graduate students in the coming days. The email has been distributed to “student council leadership for individual graduate and professional schools” and every member of the Graduate Professional Student Government General Assembly, GPSG president Aliesha O’Raw told The Chronicle Monday afternoon. Here’s what graduate students can expect from ticketing this year. 

First of all, Campout, a weekend-long event that usually results in season tickets for graduate students, will not be happening this year. 

Instead, there will be a lottery for the right to buy season tickets, which will cost $300 each, not including fees. There are expected to be 725 season tickets awarded through the lottery, the same amount as has been distributed in previous years. 

The sign-up link for the lottery is live, and filling out the form gets graduate students one entry into the lottery.

Graduate students can earn additional entries in the lottery by attending Countdown to Craziness and Duke’s Oct. 30 exhibition game against Winston-Salem State. Each event grants one additional entry into the lottery. In total, a graduate student can get three entries into the lottery by registering online and attending both events. 

Doors for Countdown to Craziness open at 5:30 p.m. this Friday for an event start time of 7:00 p.m. Graduate students can show up with their Duke ID and will be granted entry to Cameron Indoor Stadium. 

Similarly, for the exhibition game, doors will open 90 minutes prior to the game’s start time, which has yet to be announced. 

Results for the lottery will be announced Nov. 10 via email where lottery winners will be able to set up a Duke Athletics Ticket Account to pay for their ticket. 

Graduate students’ spouses can expect to attend the game as guests, O’Raw said. 

The change in protocol comes as the result of extended talks between the GPSG Basketball Committee and Duke Athletics, as the two evaluated the potential COVID-19 risk and the effect of the new vaccination policy for Cameron Indoor Stadium. Ultimately, it was decided that the risk posed by Campout was too great, so they decided on this year’s lottery as a safer alternative to still get graduate students involved in Duke basketball, O’Raw said. 

This is a developing story. Please check back here for more updates. Story was last updated at 4:42 p.m.

Sasha Richie profile
Sasha Richie | Sports Managing Editor

Sasha Richie is a Trinity senior and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “How do graduate students get tickets to Duke men’s basketball games this year?” on social media.