The Devil's in the details: Men's soccer stands atop conference, Durant climbs in school record books

Junior receiver Jalon Calhoun started the second half of Duke's loss with a bang, going 80 yards for one of the longest scoring plays in Blue Devils history.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers.

10

Duke and North Carolina football’s latest matchup ended in a disappointing loss for the Blue Devils. Saturday's game was hard-fought and resulted in some outstanding stats for the Duke squad. 

Offensive force Mataeo Durant broke free for an impressive 37-yard run on Duke’s first offensive play, finishing the game with 19 carries for 114 rushing yards. Durant now sits at 1,957 career rushing yards, bumping the senior from 14th to 10th in Duke football history. Junior receiver Jalon Calhoun opened the second half with an 80-yard score, marking Duke’s longest scoring play of the year and 10th-longest in program history. 

The defense racked up a season high of five sacks throughout the game. The Blue Devils saw big-time performances from redshirt senior Lummie Young IV and sophomore Daquan Johnson, who tallied five tackles each. Unfortunately these stats were not enough to counter the show the Tar Heels put on in the fourth quarter, as they controlled the ball for over 11 minutes while going on two scoring drives to seal a 38-7 North Carolina win.

1

After closing out No. 14 Louisville Friday night 3-1 at Koskinen Stadium, No. 4 Duke men’s soccer program is the only remaining undefeated team in the ACC, securing first place in the conference. The squad is now 4-0 in conference play, their first time achieving the feat since 1980. Sophomore Thorleifur Ulfarsson knocked in two goals while freshman Shakur Mohammed added a goal and assist to his impressive first season. Senior Eliot Hamill was again a force between the pipes, making two saves to bring his season total to 29. 

19

You win some and you lose some, but one thing is for certain: Duke volleyball will give you a run for your money on the net. The Blue Devils racked up an astounding 19 team blocks as they took on Pittsburgh and Virginia in conference play this weekend. Sophomore Georgia Stavrinides was dominant in the front row, tallying nine blocks and 10 kills. Senior Ade Owokoniran had no trouble putting the ball down and she did just that 18 times over the weekend, now leading the Blue Devils with a season total of 139 kills. Senior setter Alex Springate also wanted in on the action, recording the first solo block of her career against the Cavaliers. 

2

It was a hard fought weekend for Duke field hockey as they fell twice—3-2 to Virginia and 5-2 to Liberty—dropping to 4-7 overall. What ended in a heartbreaking loss in Charlottesville, Va., however, was a relentless battle. The Blue Devils took the Cavaliers to two overtimes, controlling possession throughout the first before Virginia ultimately scored the golden goal. Sophomore goalie Piper Hampsch made 10 saves over the weekend, bringing her career total to 135. Duke fired away a season-high 16 shots during its match against Virginia, and followed that up with 12 offensive attempts against Liberty. 

6

Duke women’s soccer took care of business this weekend, shutting out Syracuse 2-0 in its fourth conference match to become 8-1-1 overall (2-1-1 in the ACC). The team is yet to face defeat at Koskinen Stadium, as Saturday marked its sixth home win of the season. The game was full of firsts, with sophomore Maggie Graham and graduate student Lily Nabet knocking in their first goals of the season to lead the Blue Devils to victory. The team tallied an impressive 27 shots in the conference matchup, with 17 of those on goal compared to the Orange’s two. North Carolina native Ruthie Jones now has 17 saves to only two goals allowed in the last five matches, leading the ACC with a save-percentage of .848. 

Share and discuss “The Devil's in the details: Men's soccer stands atop conference, Durant climbs in school record books” on social media.